Fresno City College
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Fresno City College (FCC or "Fresno City") is a community college in Fresno, California. It is part of the State Center Community College District (SCCCD) within the California Community Colleges system. Fresno City College operates on a semester schedule, offering Associate degrees and certificates.
|Chancellor||Dr. Paul Parnell|
|President||Dr. Carole Goldsmith|
1101 E. University Ave. Fresno, CA 93741,
|Colors||Red and White|
|Website||Fresno City College|
The school's sister colleges in the State Center District are Reedley College, located in Reedley, California, and Clovis Community College (formerly known as the Willow International Center) in northeastern Fresno (near the adjoining city of Clovis. Additional campuses in the district include the Madera Center (across the San Joaquin River, in the city of Madera) and the Oakhurst Center, in the town of Oakhurst (serving the Sierra foothill communities).
The college is fully accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. The school offers Associate's Degrees, and students can earn a Certificate of Completion, or transfer to a 4-year university of their choice. Students can also apply to and attend the on campus Police Academy, a basic police officer academy accredited by California Police Officer Standards and Training.
Organization and administrationEdit
Fresno City College is a part of the State Center Community College District (SCCCD). Dr. Carole Goldsmith is the current president of Fresno City College, and Dr. Paul Parnell is the chancellor of the SCCCD.
- The Rampage (College Newspaper)
- City at a Glance (College Newsletter)
- The Ram's Tale (College works from English & Art students)
- IntenseCITY (College Magazine)
The college athletic teams are nicknamed the Rams. Fresno City has won 247 Conference Championships and 53 CCCAA State Championships. Men's Basketball (1955, 1963, 2005*, 2007 & 2012), Women's Soccer (1988 & 2017**), Baseball (1961, 1962, 1963, 1972 & 1992), Football (1968, 1969, 1972 & 1973), Women's Tennis (1999 & 2000), Men's Tennis (2004, 2012, 2013 & 2014) Women's Volleyball (2016), Badminton (2016), Men's Soccer (2017) Wrestling has won 12 CCCAA Duel Championships (1992, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2017) they have also won 15 Team Championships (1959, 1962, 1975, 1989, 1993, 1994, 1998, 2001, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017, & 2018)
- 2005 Fresno City Men's Basketball team went undefeated, 34-0
- 2017 Women's Soccer team went 25–0–2 and was awarded the JC Division III National Championship
This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Gary Soto, Mexican-American poet and children's author, professor of writing
- Harry Edwards, African-American sports sociologist and civil rights activist
- Sports people
- Lloyd Allen, former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Rob Deer Former Major League Baseball right fielder, played with the San Francisco Giants, Milwaukee Brewers, Detroit Tigers, Boston Red Sox, Hanshin Tigers, and the San Diego Padres
- Ted Lilly Retired Major League Baseball pitcher, played for the Montreal Expos, Washington Nationals, New York Yankees, Oakland A's, Toronto Blue Jays, Chicago Cubs & Los Angeles Dodgers.
- Tom Seaver Major League Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher (member of the 1969 New York Mets World Series Championship Team)
- Matt Giordano Defensive Back for the St. Louis Rams (Super Bowl Champion with the 2006 Indianapolis Colts) has played for Indianapolis Colts, Green Bay Packers, Atlanta Falcons, New Orleans Saints & Oakland Raiders, currently Head Varsity Football Coach at Buchanan High School in Clovis, CA
- Tom Flores 2-Time Super Bowl champion head coach of the Oakland Raiders, also former head coach of the Seattle Seahawks, Flores is a member of the FCC Football Wall of Fame.
- Maurice Morris NFL Free Agent Running back.
- Cameron Worrell Free-Agent Defensive Back has played for the Chicago Bears, Miami Dolphins & New York Jets, former the Defensive backs coach for the Fresno City College Football team. Now sideline analyst for Fresno State Football on their flagship radio station 940 AM ESPN Radio
- Zach Diles NFL Free Agents Linebacker, as played for Houston Texans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Indianapolis Colts, St. Louis Rams & Tennessee Titans
- Rafer Alston NBA Free-Agent (Member of the 2008/2009 Orlando Magic Eastern Conference Championship Team)
- Jim Merlo Linebacker for the New Orleans Saints
- Zoila Gurgel professional female mixed martial artist, Won the Bellator Women's 115 lb Championship
- Greg Boyd- Former NFL Defensive End with the New England Patriots, Denver Broncos, Green Bay Packers, San Francisco 49ers and the Los Angeles Raiders.
- Andrew Stewart retired NFL and CFL defensive end
- Alex Stewart, football player
- Marcus Walden Major League Pitcher for the Boston Red Sox part of their 2018 World Series Championship team played at Fresno City College in 2007 was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 9th Round of the 2007 MLB First year player draft.
- Fresno City College: Management Council
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-05-09. Retrieved 2008-02-03.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Campus History". Fresno City College. Retrieved April 7, 2018.
- "Rob Deer Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Zoila Gurgel MMA Bio". Retrieved 2014-01-01.