Freeze Frame (The J. Geils Band album)
Freeze-Frame is the 12th studio album by American rock band The J. Geils Band, released in 1981. This was the band's only No. 1 album. The album reached number one on the United States Billboard 200 album chart in February 1982, and remained at the top for four weeks. The album featured the hit singles "Centerfold" (No. 1 US; No. 3 UK) and "Freeze Frame" (No. 4 US). "Angel in Blue" also reached the US Top 40.
|Studio album by The J. Geils Band|
|Released||October 26, 1981|
|Studio||Long View Farm, North Brookfield, Massachusetts|
|Genre||New wave, pop rock, art rock|
|The J. Geils Band chronology|
This was the first album where songwriters Peter Wolf and Seth Justman, who provided the band with its original material, did not share credit on every song. Justman wrote or co-wrote all of the album as well as receiving credit as arranger and producer of the material.
The album was remastered in 1993 and reissued on BGO in the UK and was remastered in 2008 for the Japanese market, but has not been remastered in the U.S.
All songs written by Seth Justman except where noted.
- Side one
- "Freeze-Frame" (Justman, Peter Wolf) – 4:01
- "Rage in the Cage" (Justman, Wolf) – 4:56
- "Centerfold" – 3:36
- "Do You Remember When" (Justman, Wolf) – 4:45
- "Insane, Insane Again" – 4:43
- Side two
The J. Geils BandEdit
- Peter Wolf - lead vocals
- J. Geils - guitar
- Magic Dick - harmonica
- Seth Justman - keyboards, backing vocals
- Danny Klein - bass
- Stephen Bladd - drums
- Randy Brecker, Tom "Bones" Malone, Lou Marini, George Young, Ronnie Cuber, Alan Rubin – horns
- Cengiz Yaltkaya - conductor
- Tawatha Agee, Cissy Houston, Fonzi Thornton, Luther Vandross, Ken Williams – backing vocals
- Seth Justman - producer, arrangements
- David Thoener - engineer, mixing at Record Plant, New York
- Jesse Henderson, Steve Marcantonio - assistant engineers
- Joe Brescio - mastering
Album - Billboard (United States)
Singles - Billboard (United States)
|1982||"Angel in Blue"||Billboard Hot 100||40|
|1982||"Centerfold/Flamethrower"||Club Play Singles||12|
|1982||"Centerfold"||Mainstream Rock Tracks||1|
|1982||"Centerfold"||Billboard Hot 100||1|
|1982||"Flamethrower"||Hot R&B/Hip Hop Singles & Tracks||25|
|1982||"Flamethrower"||Mainstream Rock Tracks||30|
|1982||"Freeze-Frame"||Hot R&B/Hip Hop Singles & Tracks||25|
|1982||"Freeze-Frame"||Mainstream Rock Tracks||8|
|1982||"Freeze-Frame"||Billboard Hot 100||4|
4 by Foreigner
|Billboard 200 number-one album
February 6, 1982 - February 27, 1982
Beauty and the Beat by Go-Go's
In other mediaEdit
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame review". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 2015-07-07.
- Christgau, Robert. "Freeze-Frame". Robert Christgau.
- Fricke, David (21 January 1982). "Album Reviews: J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 4 November 2009. Retrieved 2015-07-07.
- Vesić, Dušan. "Freeze Frame, The J. Geils Band". Rock 82 (in Serbian). Belgrade: NIP Politika (5): 10.