Free Women's Units
The Free Women's Units (Kurdish: Yekîneyên Jinên Azad ên Star), shortened from the Kurdish name as YJA STAR, is the women's military wing of the Kurdistan Workers' Party. The unit operates thanks to the gender egalitarian philosophy of the Kurdish ideological leader, Abdullah Öcalan.
|Free Women's Units|
Yekîneyên Jinên Azad ên Star (YJA STAR)
|Dates of operation||2004–present|
|Active region(s)||Turkey, Iraq, Syria, Iran|
|Status||Ongoing war with Turkey, after ceasefire ended. |
- Gulîstan, Land of Roses, a 2016 documentary films about women PKK fighters
- "Interview with the World's First Army of Women: YJA-STAR". Machorka. 17 August 2015. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- Jongerden, Joost. "Rethinking Politics and Democracy in the Middle East" (PDF). Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "War against Isis: PKK commander tasked with the defence of Syrian Kurds claims 'we will save Kobani'". The Independent. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- "BREAKING: HPG operation in Sinjar; 20 ISIS dead". Archived from the original on 26 June 2015. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- "ANF – Ajansa Nûçeyan a Firatê". Archived from the original on 14 April 2015. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- Nordland, R. (2018). Women are free, and armed, in Kurdish-controlled Northern Syria. New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/24/world/middleeast/syria-kurds-womens-rights-gender-equality.html on 10/9/2019
|This Kurdistan-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an organisation in Turkey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|