Frederick III, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (14 April 1699 – 10 March 1772), was a duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg.
|Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg|
|Born||14 April 1699|
|Died||10 March 1772 (aged 72)|
|Spouse||Princess Luise Dorothea of Saxe-Meiningen|
|Issue||Frederick, Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg |
Princess Fredericka Luise
|House||House of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg|
|Father||Frederick II, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg|
|Mother||Magdalene Augusta of Anhalt-Zerbst|
After the death of his father, in 1732, Frederick III assumed the duchy of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg.
In 1734 he began a flourishing soldier trade with the Emperor, to the Prince of Waldeck and to the King of Prussia, which put him into the position to create a tax in his own duchy. The duchy had to suffer for Frederick with difficulty in the Seven Years' War and he forced the duchy into a war with his neighbour, duke Anton Ulrich of Saxe-Meiningen (The "Wasunger War").
In Gotha on 17 September 1729, Frederick married Luise Dorothea of Saxe-Meiningen, his first cousin. They had nine children:
- Frederick Louis, Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (b. Gotha, 20 January 1735 – d. Gotha, 9 June 1756).
- Louis (b. Gotha, 25 October 1735 – d. Gotha, 26 October 1735).
- stillborn son (Gotha, 25 October 1735), twin of Louis.
- stillborn twin sons (1739).
- Fredericka Louise (b. Gotha, 30 January 1741 – d. Gotha, 5 February 1776).
- Ernest II, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (b. Gotha, 30 January 1745 – d. Gotha, 20 April 1804).
- Sophie (b. Gotha, 9 March 1746 – d. Gotha, 30 March 1746).
- August (b. Gotha, 14 August 1747 – d. Gotha, 28 September 1806).
From 1748 to 1755 he was regent of the duchy of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach on behalf of Ernst August II Konstantin. From 1750, he acted as regent alongside his kinsmen Franz Josias, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld. He died in Gotha, aged 72.
|Ancestors of Frederick III, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg|
- Genealogie ascendante jusqu'au quatrieme degre inclusivement de tous les Rois et Princes de maisons souveraines de l'Europe actuellement vivans [Genealogy up to the fourth degree inclusive of all the Kings and Princes of sovereign houses of Europe currently living] (in French). Bourdeaux: Frederic Guillaume Birnstiel. 1768. p. 102.
- Beck, August (1878), "Friedrich II. (Herzog von Sachsen-Gotha-Altenburg)", Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB) (in German), 8, Leipzig: Duncker & Humblot, pp. 3–5
- Christian Ferdinand Schulze, Leben des Herzogs von Sachsen-Gotha und Altenburg Friedrich II., Digitaliat
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Frederick III, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg.|