Frederick I, Duke of Anhalt
|Duke of Anhalt|
|Duke of Anhalt|
|Reign||22 May 1871 – 24 January 1904|
|Born||April 29, 1831|
|Died||January 24, 1904 (aged 72)|
|Spouse||Princess Antoinette of Saxe-Altenburg|
|Issue||Leopold, Hereditary Prince of Anhalt|
Frederick II, Duke of Anhalt
Elisabeth, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Eduard, Duke of Anhalt
Alexandra, Princess of Schwarzburg
|Father||Leopold IV, Duke of Anhalt|
|Mother||Princess Frederica of Prussia|
Frederick was born in Dessau in 1831 as the third child and only son of Duke Leopold IV of Anhalt-Dessau and his wife Princess Frederica of Prussia, the daughter of Prince Louis Charles of Prussia.
In 1864, he participated in the Second Schleswig War in the staff of his brother-in-law, Prince Frederic Charles of Prussia, and in 1870-71 in the Franco-Prussian War as Lieutenant General. He was present at the proclamation of Wilhelm I as German Emperor in the Hall of Mirrors at the Versailles Palace on 18 January 1871.
Frederick succeeded his father as Duke of Anhalt on 22 May 1871.
On 23 January 1904 he suffered an apoplectic stroke and died the next day at Ballenstedt castle. As his eldest son Leopold had predeceased him, he was succeeded as Duke by his second son who became Frederick II.
Marriage and issueEdit
He was married on 22 April 1854 at Altenburg to Princess Antoinette of Saxe-Altenburg. She was a daughter of Prince Eduard of Saxe-Altenburg and his wife Princess Amalie of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen. They had six children:
|Leopold, Hereditary Prince of Anhalt||18 July 1855||2 February 1886||married Princess Elisabeth of Hesse-Kassel; had issue|
|Frederick II, Duke of Anhalt||19 August 1856||22 April 1918||married Princess Marie of Baden, no issue|
|Princess Elisabeth of Anhalt||7 September 1857||20 July 1933||married Adolf Friedrich V, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz; had issue|
|Eduard, Duke of Anhalt||18 April 1861||13 September 1918||married Princess Luise of Saxe-Altenburg; had issue|
|Prince Aribert of Anhalt||18 June 1866||24 December 1933||married Princess Marie Louise of Schleswig-Holstein, no issue|
|Princess Alexandra of Anhalt||4 April 1868||26 August 1958||married Sizzo, Prince of Schwarzburg; had issue|
- German orders and decorations
- Ascanian duchies: Grand Cross of Albert the Bear, 18 March 1837; with Swords, 1 October 1864
- Bavaria: Knight of St. Hubert
- Brunswick: Grand Cross of Henry the Lion, 1887
- Ernestine duchies: Grand Cross of the Saxe-Ernestine House Order
- Hanoverian Royal Family:
- Hesse and by Rhine: Grand Cross of the Ludwig Order
- Mecklenburg: Grand Cross of the Wendish Crown, with Crown in Ore and Collar
- Nassau: Knight of the Gold Lion of Nassau, September 1858
- Oldenburg: Grand Cross of the Order of Duke Peter Friedrich Ludwig, with Golden Crown, 7 October 1847
- Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach: Grand Cross of the White Falcon
- Saxony: Knight of the Rue Crown
- Württemberg: Grand Cross of the Württemberg Crown, 1889
- Hohenzollern: Cross of Honour of the Princely House Order of Hohenzollern, 1st Class
- Schaumburg-Lippe: Military Merit Medal, with Swords
- Foreign orders and decorations
- Austrian Empire:
- Belgium: Grand Cordon of the Order of Leopold (military), 22 February 1874
- Denmark: Knight of the Elephant, 22 March 1873
- Kingdom of Greece: Grand Cross of the Redeemer
- Kingdom of Romania: Grand Cross of the Star of Romania
- Principality of Serbia: Grand Cross of the Cross of Takovo
|Ancestors of Frederick I, Duke of Anhalt|
- Almanach de Gotha. 1903. pp. 3, 4.
- "Duke of Anhalt is dead". New York Times. 1904-01-25. p. 7.
- Hof- und Staats-Handbuch des Herzogtum Anhalt (1894) "Genealogie des Herzoglichen Hauses" p. 1-2
- Hof- und Staats-Handbuch des Herzogtum Anhalt (1867) "Herzoglicher Haus-orden Albrecht des Bären" p. 16
- Hof- und Staats-Handbuch des Großherzogtum Baden (1896), "Großherzogliche Orden" pp. 63, 77
- Braunschweig, Staat (Hg.) (1903): Hof- und Staatshandbuch des Herzogtums Braunschweig für 1903. In: Hof- und Staatshandbuch des Herzogtums Braunschweig 1903. p. 10
- Staats- und Adreß-Handbuch des Herzogthums Nassau (1866), "Herzogliche Orden" p. 8
- Hof- und Staatshandbuch des Großherzogtums Oldenburg: 1879. Schulze. 1879. p. 32.
- Hof- und Staats-Handbuch des Königreich Württemberg (1896), "Königliche Orden" p. 28
- "Ritter-Orden", Hof- und Staatshandbuch der Österreichisch-Ungarischen Monarchie, 1903, pp. 57, 68, retrieved 2 November 2019
- Belgien (1875). Almanach royal officiel: 1875. p. 55.
- Jørgen Pedersen (2009). Riddere af Elefantordenen, 1559–2009 (in Danish). Syddansk Universitetsforlag. p. 463. ISBN 978-87-7674-434-2.
- Sveriges Statskalender (in Swedish), 1881, p. 377, retrieved 2018-01-06 – via runeberg.org
Frederick I, Duke of AnhaltBorn: 29 April 1831 Died: 24 January 1904
| Duke of Anhalt