Frederick Christian I, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg
|Frederick Christian I|
|Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg|
|Reign||20 January 1754 – 13 November 1794|
|Successor||Frederick Christian II|
|Born||6 April 1721|
|Died||13 November 1794 (aged 73)|
|Spouse||Princess Charlotte Amalie Wilhelmine of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Plön|
|Frederick Christian II|
Charles August, Crown Prince of Sweden
|House||House of Oldenburg|
|Father||Christian August, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg|
|Mother||Countess Louise Frederikke af Danneskiold-Samsøe|
He was the eldest son of Christian August, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg (1696–1754) and his wife Duchess Louise Frederikke née Countess af Danneskiold-Samsøe (1699–1744). In 1754, his father died and Frederick Christian inherited Augustenborg Castle and Gråsten. However, these estates were deeply in debt. He waived his claims on the duchies of Schleswig and Holstein and in return the King of Denmark (who was also Duke of Schleswig and Holstein) granted him a favourable settlement. This allowed him to purchase Als and Sundeved, making him the largest landowner in Schleswig. He was also able to expand Augustenborg Castle, the family residence.
Marriage and issueEdit
On 26 May 1762, Frederick Christian married Princess Charlotte Amalie Wilhelmine (1744–1770), a daughter of Frederick Charles, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Plön. The couple had seven children:
- Louise Christine Caroline (16 February 1763 – 27 January 1764);
- Louise Christine Caroline (17 February 1764 – 2 August 1815);
- Frederick Christian II (28 September 1765 – 14 June 1814), married Princess Louise Auguste of Denmark;
- Frederick Charles Emil (8 March 1767 – 14 June 1841), Danish General, married Sofie Eleonore Fredericka of Scheel (1776–1836; daughter of Baron Jürgen Eric of Scheel);
- Christian August (9 July 1768 – 28 May 1810), Danish general and, later, Crown Prince of Sweden as Karl August (died before he could ascend the throne);
- Sophie Amelie (10 August 1769 – 6 October 1769);
- Charles William (4 October 1770 – 22 February 1771).
|Ancestors of Frederick Christian I, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg|
- Genealogie ascendante jusqu'au quatrieme degre inclusivement de tous les Rois et Princes de maisons souveraines de l'Europe actuellement vivans [Genealogy up to the fourth degree inclusive of all the Kings and Princes of sovereign houses of Europe currently living] (in French). Bourdeaux: Frederic Guillaume Birnstiel. 1768. p. 73.
- Merete Harding: Margrethe Pape i Den Store Danske, Gyldendal. Hentet 6. oktober 2017 fra http://denstoredanske.dk/index.php?sideId=209625
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Frederick Christian I, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg.|
- Marek, Miroslav. "oldenburg/oldenburg4.html". Genealogy.EU.
- Den Store Danske
Frederick Christian I, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-AugustenburgBorn: 6 April 1721 Died: 13 November 1794
| Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg
Frederick Christian II