Fred Rouse (footballer)
Fredrick William Rouse (28 November 1881 – December 1953) was an English professional football centre forward who played in the Football League for Chelsea, Everton, Grimsby Town, Stoke and West Bromwich Albion. He also represented the Football League XI.
Rouse while with Chelsea in 1907
|Full name||Fredrick William Rouse|
|Date of birth||28 November 1881|
|Place of birth||Cranford, England|
|Date of death||December 1953(aged 72)|
|Place of death||Windsor, England|
|Playing position||Centre forward|
|1909–1910||West Bromwich Albion||5||(2)|
|1905–1906||The Football League XI||2||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Rouse was born in Cranford, London and played for Southall, Wycombe Wanderers, Brentford and Shepherds Bush before moving north to join Football League side Grimsby Town in 1903. He impressed at the "Mariners" and earned a move to First Division Stoke in April 1904. He became Stoke's most impressive forward in what was a poor Stoke side and he easily top scored in 1904–05 with 12 goals and the hit 10 in 1905–06. With Stoke looking for vital funds they decided to cash in on Rouse in November 1906 selling him to Everton for a fee of £600. He struggled to settle on Merseyside and returned to London to play for Chelsea. After two seasons at Chelsea he spent a season at West Bromwich Albion and later played for Croydon Common, Brentford and Slough.
|Shepherd's Bush||1901–02||Southern League Second Division||2||0||—||2||0|
|Grimsby Town||1902–03||First Division||6||2||—||6||2|
|West Bromwich Albion||1909–10||Second Division||5||2||0||0||5||2|
|Croydon Common||1910–11||Southern League Second Division||11||6||1||0||12||6|
|Brentford||1911–12||Southern League First Division||15||5||2||0||17||5|
- Matthews, Tony (1994). The Encyclopaedia of Stoke City. Lion Press. ISBN 0-9524151-0-0.
- "Croydon Common – Biographies – Fred Rouse" (PDF). 10 September 2017.
- "Rouse Fred Image 1 Everton 1907". Vintage Footballers. Retrieved 24 December 2018.
- "Frederick Rouse". 11v11.com. Retrieved 10 September 2017.
- "Albion Till We Die – An Independent West Bromwich Albion Website". www.albiontillwedie.co.uk. Retrieved 10 September 2017.
- White, Eric, ed. (1989). 100 Years Of Brentford. Brentford FC. p. 361. ISBN 0951526200.
- Fred Rouse at the English National Football Archive (subscription required)