Fred Allen Berry (March 19, 1951 – October 21, 2003) was an American actor and street dancer. He was best known for the role of Fred "Rerun" Stubbs on the 1970s television show What's Happening!!
Fred Allen Berry
March 19, 1951
St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.
|Died||October 21, 2003 (aged 52)|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Resting place||Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Hollywood Hills, California, U.S.|
|Occupation||Actor, street dancer|
|Spouse(s)||Franchesska Berry (1976–1976)|
Franchesska Berry (1978–1980)
Carol Ann Ross (1984–1991)
Darlene Bitten (1994–1999)
Essie Berry (1999–2003)
Before starring on What's Happening!! he was a member of the Los Angeles-based dance troupe The Lockers, with whom he appeared on the third episode of Saturday Night Live. He also appeared on the dance music show Soul Train, and was featured in the program's signature line dance segment doing the memorable early 1970s dance step "the slo-mo".
What's Happening!! aired from 1976 to 1979.
He reprised his role as Rerun in the series What's Happening Now!! but he was only on that show for one season. Berry asked for more money than the rest of the cast (believing he was the reason people tuned in). Berry's widow, Essie Berry, told Urbanite magazine at Georgia State University that their unwillingness to pay Fred Berry his due in both shows led to their early cancellations. During the 1990s, Berry became a Baptist minister and lost 100 lbs after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
- Hammer (1972)
- What's Happening!! as Fred "Rerun" Stubbs (1976-1979)
- Battle of the Network Stars III as Himself (1977)
- Vice Squad as Sugar Pimp Dorsey (1982)
- A Stroke of Genius (1984)
- Alice, one episode (1984)
- What's Happening Now!! as Fred "Rerun" Stubbs (1985-1986)
- "I Wonder Who She's Seeing Now" by The Temptations, music video (1988)
- The Howard Stern Show (1992)
- In Living Color as Himself (1993)
- Martin (1993), one episode, as Himself (1993)
- Murder Was the Case: The Movie (1995)
- In the Hood (1998)
- Big Money Hustlas as Bootleg Greg (2000)
- The Freshest Kids: A History of the B-Boy as Himself (2001)
- Bum Runner (2002)
- Scrubs, one episode, as Fred "Rerun" Stubbs (2003)
- I Love the '70s as Himself (2003)
- Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star as Himself (2003)
- In the Land of Merry Misfits (2005)
- The New York Times
- The New York Times
- Video on YouTube
- "What's Happening!!: Up From the Ashes". tvparty.com. Retrieved 9 June 2010.
- Kappes, Serena (2002-07-30). "Catch up with 'What's Happening!' star Fred Berry". CNN.com/Entertainment. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- Silverman, Stephen M. (2003-10-23). "'70s Star Fred 'Rerun' Berry Dead at 52". people.com. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- Peter, Hartlaub (2003-10-27). "Fred Berry's 'Rerun' a role to be cherished". sfgate.com. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- Wilson, Scott. Resting Places: The Burial Sites of More Than 14,000 Famous Persons, 3d ed.: 2 (Kindle Locations 3721). McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers. Kindle Edition.