Franzen is a town in Marathon County, Wisconsin, United States. It is part of the Wausau, Wisconsin Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 578 at the 2010 census. The unincorporated communities of Galloway and Holt are located in the town.
Location of Franzen, Wisconsin
|• Total||36.6 sq mi (94.8 km2)|
|• Land||36.4 sq mi (94.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.6 km2)|
|Elevation||1,201 ft (366 m)|
|• Density||16/sq mi (6.1/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Area code(s)||715 & 534|
|GNIS feature ID||1583237|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 36.6 square miles (94.8 km²), of which 36.4 square miles (94.2 km²) is land and 0.2 square miles (0.6 km²), or 0.60%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 505 people, 193 households, and 145 families living in the town. The population density was 13.9 people per square mile (5.4/km²). There were 212 housing units at an average density of 5.8 per square mile (2.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.42% White, 1.39% Native American, and 0.20% from two or more races.
There were 193 households out of which 33.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.4% were married couples living together, 5.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.4% were non-families. 20.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the town, the population was spread out with 27.7% under the age of 18, 7.3% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 15.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 107.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 108.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $41,442, and the median income for a family was $43,295. Males had a median income of $33,750 versus $24,375 for females. The per capita income for the town was $18,623. About 6.4% of families and 7.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.5% of those under age 18 and 4.9% of those age 65 or over.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Franzen town, Marathon County, Wisconsin". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved September 17, 2012.
- Callary, Edward. Place Names of Wisconsin. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press. p. 99. ISBN 978-0-299-30964-0.
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 1979-1980, Biographical Sketch of Raymond Omernick, pg. 79