Frans Nielsen (born 24 April 1984) is a Danish professional ice hockey player and alternate captain for the Detroit Red Wings of the National Hockey League (NHL). He spent the first 10 years of his NHL career playing with the New York Islanders.
Nielsen with the New York Islanders in January 2015
24 April 1984|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||180 lb (82 kg; 12 st 12 lb)|
Detroit Red Wings|
New York Islanders
87th overall, 2002|
New York Islanders
He is the first Danish citizen to play in the NHL.
Nielsen was drafted by the New York Islanders in the third round, 87th overall in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft. After playing in the Swedish Elitserien since 2001, Nielsen signed a two-year contract with the New York Islanders on 15 May 2006. He has also played for the Danish national team.
Nielsen started the 2006–07 AHL season with the Islanders' affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, and was recalled to the Islanders on 5 January 2007. He made his NHL debut on 6 January. At the time of his recall, he had recorded a point in nine consecutive American Hockey League (AHL) games, which was three games shy of the Sound Tigers' club record.
During the 2010–11 NHL season Nielsen scored a league-leading seven short-handed goals, including two penalty shot goals in three-on-five shorthanded situations. Near the end of the 2010–11 NHL season Islanders' Captain Doug Weight was quoted as saying of Nielsen "He’s our best all-around player even though his stats don’t necessarily show it". On 7 February 2012, Nielsen signed a four-year, $11 million contract with the Islanders.
Nielsen holds the distinction of being the most successful NHL player all-time in shootouts (i.e., scoring percentage among players with a substantial number of shootout attempts). He even scored a goal in a shootout prior to being credited with his first official NHL goal. His signature move in the competition has been dubbed the "Danish Backhand of Judgement", though he has also scored using his forehand. As of March 2013, he has a success rate of 62.5%.
On 1 July 2016, Nielsen signed as a free agent to a 6-year contract with the Detroit Red Wings, marking the end of his 10-year tenure with the Islanders. During the 2016–17 season Nielsen was selected to participate in the 2017 NHL All-Star Game.
During the 2017–18 season Nielsen scored his 47th shootout goal, making him the all-time leader in shootout goals. The goal came against the New York Rangers in a 3–2 win on 29 December 2017.
|Representing Team Europe|
|Canada Cup / World Cup|
Regular season and playoffsEdit
|2000–01||Herning Blue Fox||DEN||38||18||19||37||6||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006–07||New York Islanders||NHL||15||1||1||2||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006–07||Bridgeport Sound Tigers||AHL||54||20||24||44||10||—||—||—||—||—|
|2007–08||New York Islanders||NHL||16||2||1||3||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2007–08||Bridgeport Sound Tigers||AHL||48||10||28||38||18||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||New York Islanders||NHL||59||9||24||33||18||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||New York Islanders||NHL||76||12||26||38||6||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||New York Islanders||NHL||71||13||31||44||38||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||New York Islanders||NHL||82||17||30||47||6||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||New York Islanders||NHL||48||6||23||29||12||6||0||2||2||0|
|2013–14||New York Islanders||NHL||80||25||33||58||8||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||New York Islanders||NHL||78||14||29||43||12||7||1||1||2||0|
|2015–16||New York Islanders||NHL||81||20||32||52||12||11||3||3||6||2|
|2016–17||Detroit Red Wings||NHL||79||17||24||41||18||—||—||—||—||—|
|2017–18||Detroit Red Wings||NHL||79||16||17||33||14||—||—||—||—||—|
|2018–19||Detroit Red Wings||NHL||72||10||25||35||14||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honorsEdit
- NHL All-Star Game, 2017
- Grossman, Evan (2007). "When it comes to hockey, it's a small world". NHL.com. Retrieved 15 April 2007.[dead link]
- "NYI Sign C Frans Nielsen". NHL.com. 16 May 2006. Retrieved 16 March 2018.
- "Frans Nielsen recalled by Islanders - Set to become first Daniard player to appear in an NHL game". Brideport Sound Tigers. Retrieved 24 February 2007.[dead link]
- "Nielsen, Islanders agree on four-year extension". Edmonton Journal. 7 February 2012. Archived from the original on 17 August 2011. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- "Shootout career totals". National Hockey League. 4 June 2015. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Nielsen scores three in third to lift Islanders past Stars". Islanders.com. 25 October 2014. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- Wakiji, Dana (1 July 2016). "Nielsen, Wings agree to contract terms". Detroit Red Wings. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- Wakiji, Dana (29 January 2018). "Frans Nielsen thrilled with first All-Star experience". NHL.com. Retrieved 16 March 2018.
- "Nielsen nets shootout winner as Wings top Rangers". espn.co.uk. 30 December 2017. Retrieved 16 March 2018.
- @NHL (30 December 2017). "All-time leader in shootout goals: Frans Nielsen (47) All-time leader in game-deciding goals: Frans Nielsen (21)" (Tweet) – via Twitter.