Franklin L. Lavin (born October 26, 1957) is a former Republican White House aide who was the political director for Ronald Reagan between 1987 and 1989, a United States diplomat, U.S. naval officer, and a bank executive.
|United States Ambassador to Singapore|
September 10, 2001 – October 11, 2005
|President||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Steven Green|
|Succeeded by||Patricia Herbold|
|White House Director of Political Affairs|
March 16, 1987 – January 20, 1989
Serving with Frank Donatelli
|Preceded by||Haley Barbour|
|Succeeded by||James Wray|
|Born||October 26, 1957|
Canton, Ohio, U.S.
|Education||Georgetown University (BS, MS)|
Johns Hopkins University (MA)
University of Pennsylvania (MBA)
|Branch/service||United States Navy|
|Unit||United States Navy Reserve|
Early life and educationEdit
Lavin is from Ohio and earned a B.S. from the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University; a M.S. in Chinese language from Georgetown University; a M.A. in International Relations and International Economics from the School of Advanced International Studies at the Johns Hopkins University; and a MBA in Finance at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
As of September 2001, Lavin is an officer in the United States Navy's reserve.
A 2005 report by the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of State praised Lavin's leadership in this position, calling him "a strong leader with a high degree of intellectual curiosity who wants to be kept well-briefed by all agencies, and yet lets people do their jobs without micromanaging".
- Authorities, Leading. "Frank Lavin". www.leadingauthorities.com.
- Biography. "Franklin L. Lavin, Undersecretary for International Trade". ITA.gov. Archived from the original on 2007-08-11. Retrieved 2007-08-10.
- United States Department of Commerce press release (October 28, 2005). "Gutierrez lauds Senate for voting to confirm Franklin L. Lavin as Under Secretary for International Trade". ITA.doc.gov. Archived from the original on September 27, 2006. Retrieved August 10, 2007.
- Newsweek Press Release (12 August 2007). "International Cover: Global Education: The Race is On". Earth Times.
- "Lavin, Frank L." United States Department of State. September 5, 2001. Archived from the original on February 6, 2009. Retrieved February 6, 2009.
- Report of Inspection: Embassy Singapore (PDF) (Report). Office of the Inspector General of the Department of State. 2005. p. 8. Retrieved 2009-08-24.
- "Home". Export Now.
- Grossmann, John (17 September 2014). "When Plan to Help Others Sell in China Fails, a Start-Up Changes Tack". The New York Times.
- Frank Lavin (7 August 2016). "Reagan Republican: Trump is the emperor with no clothes". CNN.
- Murphy, Mike (February 19, 2019) "Amazon Crime, Art of the Surrender and Globe Trotting with Amb. Frank Lavin", Radio Free GOP With Mike Murphy
- John Gizzi (14 August 2007). "Remembering Rove". Human Events. Archived from the original on 15 August 2007. Retrieved 15 August 2007.