Frank Dicksee(Redirected from Frank Bernard Dicksee)
Sir Francis Bernard Dicksee KCVO, PRA (London 27 November 1853 – 17 October 1928) was an English Victorian painter and illustrator, best known for his pictures of dramatic literary, historical, and legendary scenes. He also was a noted painter of portraits of fashionable women, which helped to bring him success in his own time.
|Sir Frank Dicksee|
Frank Bernard Dicksee
27 November 1853|
London, England, UK
|Died||17 October 1928
London, England, UK
Dicksee's father, Thomas Dicksee, was a painter who taught Frank as well as his sister Margaret from a young age. Dicksee enrolled in the Royal Academy in 1870 and achieved early success. He was elected to the Academy in 1891 and became its President in 1924. He was knighted in 1925, and named to the Royal Victorian Order by King George V in 1927.
Dicksee painted The Funeral of a Viking (1893; Manchester Art Gallery), which was donated in 1928 by Arthur Burton in memory of his mother to the Corporation of Manchester. Victorian critics gave it both positive and negative reviews, for its perfection as a showpiece and for its dramatic and somewhat staged setting, respectively. The painting was used by Swedish Viking/Black metal band Bathory for the cover of their 1990 album, Hammerheart.
A book on Frank Dicksee's life and work with a full catalogue of his known paintings and drawings by Simon Toll was published by Antique Collector's Club in 2016.
- "Francis Bernard Dicksee (1853–1928)" Phryne Archived 6 July 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- "List of Members", Catalogue of the First Annual Exhibition of the Society of Graphic Art, London: Society of Graphic Art: 45–48, January 1921
- Toll, Simon (2016). Frank Dicksee 1853-1928 : his art and life. Woodbridge: ACC Art Books. ISBN 9781851498314.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Frank Bernard Dicksee.|
- 30 Painting(s) by or after Frank Dicksee at the Art UK site
- Works by Frank Dicksee at the Art Renewal Center
- "Sir Frank Dicksee, British, 1853 – 1928" ArtMagick image gallery
- Phryne's list of pictures in accessible collections in the UK
- "Ophelia" Collections Database, Five Colleges and Historic Deerfield Museum Consortium
Sir Aston Webb
|President of the Royal Academy
Sir William Llewellyn
|This article about a British painter born in the 19th century is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a painter from England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|