Habitegeko governed the country's Northern Province beginning in February 2011, but left that post after being appointed as Governor of Western Province on 15 March 2021. Habitegeko has credited himself for vastly increasing the quality of life in Northern Province, bringing the percentage of households with electricity from 0.8% in 2011 to 90% at the end of his career.
- "DRC should protect Rwandans in Goma – Governor Habitegeko". The New Times | Rwanda. 2022-06-15. Retrieved 2022-06-16.
- "UN helicopter crashes in DR Congo, killing eight peacekeepers aboard". France 24. 2022-03-29. Retrieved 2022-06-16.
The governor of Rwanda's western province, Francois Habitegeko, also hit back on Twitter.
- Yanditswe na Simon Kamuzinzi. "Ibanga ryo kuyobora Akarere ukarangiza manda: Ikiganiro na Guverineri Habitegeko François". Kigali Today (in Kinyarwanda). Retrieved 2022-06-16.
- AfricaNews (2022-03-31). "Rwanda denies supporting M23 rebel group in Eastern DRC". Africanews. Retrieved 2022-06-16.
- "Governor Habitegeko assures Rubavu border community of tight security". The New Times | Rwanda. 2022-06-12. Retrieved 2022-06-16.
- Nsanzimana, Germain (2022-06-13). "Rwanda: Governor Habitegeko Assures Rubavu Border Community of Tight Security". allAfrica.com. Retrieved 2022-06-16.