Francesco III d'Este, Duke of Modena
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Francesco III d'Este|
|Duke of Modena and Reggio|
|Reign||26 October 1737 – 22 February 1780|
|Successor||Ercole III d'Este|
|Born||2 July 1698|
Ducal Palace, Duchy of Modena and Reggio
|Died||22 February 1780 (aged 81)|
Palazzo Estense, Duchy of Modena and Reggio
(m. 1721; died 1761)
|Maria Teresa, Duchess of Penthièvre |
Ercole III, Duke of Modena
Princess Matilde d'Este
Maria Fortunata, Princess of Conti
Benedetto Filippo, Abbot of Anchin
|Father||Rinaldo d'Este, Duke of Modena|
|Mother||Charlotte of Brunswick-Lüneburg|
During his reign, the duchy was bankrupted by the Wars of the Spanish, Polish, and Austrian Successions. As a result, Francesco was forced to sell the most precious artworks of the Estense Gallery. He was a careful administrator but most of the duchy's financial policy was in the hands of the Austrian plenipotentiary, Beltrame Cristiani.
Francesco also was the interim Governor of the Duchy of Milan between 1754 and 1771.
Family and childrenEdit
In 1721, he married Charlotte Aglaé d'Orléans (1700–1761), a daughter of Philippe d'Orléans, Duke of Orléans and Françoise Marie de Bourbon (illegitimate daughter of Louis XIV and Madame de Montespan) and had ten children.
After his first wife's death, he remarried twice more morganatically to Teresa Castelbarco and Renata Teresa d'Harrach. His granddaughter Maria Beatrice d'Este, Duchess of Massa was the last of the Este of Modena.
- Alfonso d'Este (18 November 1723 – 16 June 1725) died in infancy.
- Francesco Constantino d'Este (22 November 1724 – 16 June 1725) died in infancy.
- Maria Teresa Felicitas d'Este (6 October 1726 – 30 April 1754) married Louis Jean Marie de Bourbon, Duke of Penthièvre and had issue.
- Ercole III d'Este, Duke of Modena (22 November 1727 – 14 October 1803) married Maria Teresa Cybo-Malaspina, Duchess of Massa and had issue.
- Matilde d'Este (7 February 1729 – 14 November 1803) died unmarried.
- Beatrice d'Este (14 July 1730 – 12 July 1731) died in infancy.
- Beatrice d'Este (24 November 1731 – 3 April 1736) died in infancy.
- Maria Fortunata d'Este (24 November 1731 – 21 September 1803) married Louis François de Bourbon, Prince of Conti, no issue.
- Benedetto Filippo d'Este (30 September 1736 – 16 September 1751) died unmarried.
- Maria Elisabetta Ernestina d'Este (12 February 1741 – 4 August 1774) married Carlo Salomone, Count of Serravalle and had issue. Direct ancestors of Sergio E. M. Salomone Montes de Oca, current Count of Serravalle, Vintebbio and Bornate.
- Genealogie ascendante jusqu'au quatrieme degre inclusivement de tous les Rois et Princes de maisons souveraines de l'Europe actuellement vivans [Genealogy up to the fourth degree inclusive of all the Kings and Princes of sovereign houses of Europe currently living] (in French). Bourdeaux: Frederic Guillaume Birnstiel. 1768. p. 85.
- Media related to Francesco III d'Este at Wikimedia Commons
Francesco III d'Este, Duke of ModenaBorn: 2 July 1698 Died: 22 February 1780
| Duke of Modena and Reggio
Gian Luca Pallavicini
| Governors of the Duchy of Milan
Archduke Ferdinand of Austria-Este