|Born||18 March 1970|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Highest ranking||No. 59 (14 October 1991)|
|Grand Slam Singles results|
|Australian Open||1R (1992)|
|French Open||2R (1997)|
|Highest ranking||No. 589 (14 October 1991)|
The following year he reached the quarter-finals at Palermo and was also a quarter-finalist in the Estoril Open. At these tournaments he had wins over three top 40 players, Franco Davín, Javier Sánchez and Fabrice Santoro.
Fontang took part in seven French Opens but didn't register a win until his final attempt, in 1997, when he defeated Patrik Fredriksson in the opening round.
He later became coach of Jérémy Chardy and remained with him for 12 years. During this time Chardy won the 2005 Wimbledon Championships Boys' Singles title and reached the fourth round of the French Open the next year. Fontang is the current coach of Felix Auger-Aliassime.
ATP career finalsEdit
Singles: 2 (1–1)Edit
|Loss||0–1||1991||San Marino, San Marino||Clay||Guillermo Pérez Roldán||3–6, 1–6|
|Win||1–1||1991||Palermo, Italy||Clay||Emilio Sánchez||1–6, 6–3, 6–3|
|1.||1991||Merano, Italy||Clay||Carlos Costa||6–3, 6–3|
- Philippe Brossard Prof ou champion de tennis: tennis-études et sélections 1991 p49 "Frédéric FONTANG, né en 1970, CA Vincennes"
- Revue politique et parlementaire Marcel Fournier, Fernand Faure (i.e. André Bertrand Pierre Fernand) – 1991 p93 "Frédéric Fontang remporte le tournoi de Palerme (Italie) en battant l'Espagnol Emilio Sanchez 1–6, 6–3, 6–3."
- ATP World Tour Profile
- ITF Tennis Profile
- Le Figaro, "Chardy et Fontang se déchirent", 14 April 2011 (in French)
- Roger arrives "Jeremy Chardy .. According to a story in L’Equipe, it has been a tough year for the 24-year-old after that Davis Cup brilliance in February. There was a traumatic split with the man who has coached him since he was 12 years old, former player Frédéric Fontang. It has been an acrimonious parting, featuring a dispute over wages owing to Fontang. Things deteriorated to the point that Chardy was served with court papers as he went out to play a match at Monte Carlo this year. Attempts at conciliation failed so the matter will now end up in the judicial system. "
- Translation His coach, Frédéric Fontang, met Jim eleven years ago and decided to pass his knowledge on him since he wanted to stay in his home town