Fox Glacier, New Zealand
Fox Glacier (Māori: Weheka) is a small town on the West Coast of the South Island of New Zealand. Bruce Bay is 46 km (29 mi) to the south-west of the township, and Franz Josef is 23 km (14 mi) north-east. State Highway 6 runs through the town. The township is 6 km (3.7 mi) from the eponymous Fox Glacier, and a similar distance from Lake Matheson.
State Highway 6 running through Fox Glacier
Te Tai Tonga
|Time zone||UTC+12 (NZST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+13 (NZDT)|
|Local iwi||Ngāi Tahu|
Fox Glacier is primarily a service centre for tourists, although it also services the local farming community. The town is served by the Fox Glacier Aerodrome.
The nearest secondary school to Fox Glacier is South Westland Area School, 85 km (53 mi) away in Hari Hari.
- Peter Dowling (editor) (2004). Reed New Zealand Atlas. Reed Books. map 76. ISBN 0-7900-0952-8.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- Roger Smith, GeographX (2005). The Geographic Atlas of New Zealand. Robbie Burton. map 173. ISBN 1-877333-20-4.
- "Fox Glacier area". Department of Conservation. Retrieved 21 January 2018.
- 2013 Census QuickStats about a place : Fox Glacier, New Zealand
- "Directory of Schools - as at 3 April 2019". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- Hall, Margaret (1979). Black sands and golden years: Weheka-Fox Glacier School jubilee 1877–1979. Bascands.