Forum for the Progress and Development of South America
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Forum for the Progress and Development of South America (FPDSA; Spanish: Foro para el Progreso y Desarrollo de América del Sur, PROSUR; Portuguese: Fórum para o Progresso e Desenvolvimento da América do Sul, PROSUL) is an initiative by Sebastián Piñera and Iván Duque, for the creation of an integration body to replace the Union of South American Nations.
• Santiago Declaration
|22 March 2019|
In the words of the Colombian president, who made the announcement on 14 January 2019, PROSUR would be "a South American coordination mechanism for public policies, in defense of democracy, the independence of powers, the market economy, the social agenda, with sustainability and with due application". On 18 February 2019, the President of Chile, Sebastián Piñera, said "this new forum will be open to all South American countries that meet two requirements: full validity of the rule of law and full respect for freedoms and human rights".
|2019||1st||22 March||Santiago, Chile||Sebastian Piñera|
|2020||5th||12 December||Santiago, Chile||Sebastian Piñera|
The first PROSUR Summit, called the "Meeting of Presidents of South America", took place on 22 March 2019 in Santiago, Chile. Eight South American countries taking part (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay and Peru) signed the Declaration of Santiago for the renewal and strengthening of South America, which begins the process of creating of PROSUR. The representatives of Bolivia, Suriname and Uruguay abstained from signing the declaration.
- Patricia Luna (22 March 2019). "South American leaders launch new bloc to replace Unasur". The Star. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- República, Presidencia de la. "Texto de la declaración del Presidente Duque sobre Prosur en entrevista con 'Oye Cali'" (in Spanish). Retrieved 10 February 2021.
- "South American presidents announce creation of new regional bloc". Reuters. 22 March 2019. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- "Why Prosur is not the way to unite South America". The Economist. 21 March 2019. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- "Bolsonaro says Brazil owes world nothing on environment". Business Standard. Agence France-Presse. 24 March 2019. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- "Prosur agrees to joint efforts on the environment and vaccines against covid". Explica.co. Explica. 12 December 2020. Retrieved 26 December 2020.
- "Líderes sul-americanos assinam documento para criação do Prosul". G1 (in Portuguese). 22 March 2019. Retrieved 23 March 2019.