Fortune FitzRoy, Duchess of Grafton
The Dowager Duchess of Grafton
|Mistress of the Robes|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||The Dowager Duchess of Devonshire|
Ann Fortune Smith
24 February 1920
(m. 1946; died 2011)
|Children||James FitzRoy, Earl of Euston|
Lady Henrietta St. George
Lady Virginia FitzRoy
Lord Charles FitzRoy
Lady Olivia Monson
|Parents||Evan Cadogan Smith|
|Occupation||Mistress of the Robes |
She was born as Ann Fortune Smith to Captain Evan Cadogan Eric Smith MC of Ashfold in Sussex, and his wife Beatrice Williams. Her younger brother, Sir John Smith, was a financier with the family banking business (formerly known as Smith's Bank of Nottingham, later titled as the National Provincial Bank and then part of NatWest), a Conservative MP, and the founder of the Landmark Trust. Another younger brother is Jeremy Fox Eric Smith (born 1928).
Marriage and childrenEdit
- James Oliver Charles FitzRoy, Earl of Euston, born on 13 December 1947, died on 1 October 2009 He was married to Lady Clare Amabel Margaret Kerr, daughter of Peter Kerr, 12th Marquess of Lothian, and they had five children, including Henry FitzRoy, 12th Duke of Grafton. (aged 61).
- Lady Henrietta Fortune Doreen FitzRoy, born on 14 September 1949
- Lady Virginia Mary Elizabeth FitzRoy, born on Queen Elizabeth II. 10 April 1954 , a god-daughter of
- Lord Charles Patrick Hugh FitzRoy, born on 7 January 1957
- Lady Olivia Rose Mildred FitzRoy, born on 1 August 1963
In 1970, Hugh Fitzroy, Earl of Euston, succeeded his father after his death as 11th Duke of Grafton, whereupon she became known as the Duchess of Grafton. In April 2011, the Duchess of Grafton was widowed. Her husband was succeeded as duke by their grandson, Henry FitzRoy, Viscount Ipswich, since their elder son died in 2009. She turned 100 in February 2020.
Titles and stylesEdit
- 24 February 1920 – 12 October 1946: Miss Ann Fortune Smith
- 12 October 1946 – 11 November 1970: Countess of Euston
- 11 November 1970 – 7 April 2011: Her Grace The Duchess of Grafton
- 7 April 2011 – present: Her Grace The Dowager Duchess of Grafton
She was a Lady of the Bedchamber to Queen Elizabeth II between 1953 and 1966, and she has been Mistress of the Robes since 1967. The Queen is godmother to her daughter, Lady Virginia Mary Elizabeth FitzRoy. The Duchess was appointed a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order in the 1980 Birthday Honours.
- Her Majesty's A-team DailyTelegraph
- Lundy, Darryl. "Ann Fortune Smith". The Peerage. Retrieved 30 May 2011.[unreliable source]
- Earl of Euston obituary Daily Telegraph
- "'Nappy and glorious'". Daily Mail. 1 June 2012.
- "Death announcements - Grafton". Daily Telegraph. 7 April 2011. Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- "Royalty Obituaries - The Duke of Grafton". Daily Telegraph. 11 April 2011. Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- Fortune FitzRoy : la Maîtresse de la garde-robe a 100 ans
- "No. 39791". The London Gazette. 3 March 1953. p. 1243.
- "No. 44219". The London Gazette. 3 January 1967. p. 87.
- "No. 48212". The London Gazette (Supplement). 13 June 1980. p. 4.
The Duchess of Devonshire
| Mistress of the Robes to
Queen Elizabeth II