Foreign Secretary of India
The Foreign Secretary (IAST: Videśa Saciva) is the administrative head of the Ministry of External Affairs and is the top diplomat for foreign relations. This post is generally held by an IFS officer of the rank of Secretary to Government of India. The current Foreign Secretary is Vijay Keshav Gokhale.
|Foreign Secretary of India
Emblem of India
|Ministry of External Affairs|
|Residence||3, Circular Road, Chanakyapuri|
New Delhi, India
|Appointer||Appointments Committee of the Cabinet|
|Term length||Two years, term can be extended.|
|Inaugural holder||K. P. S. Menon|
|Formation||16 April 1948|
|Salary||₹225,000 (US$3,300) monthly|
|Website||Ministry of External Affairs|
Powers, responsibilities and postingsEdit
Foreign Secretary is the administrative head of the Ministry of External Affairs, and is the principal adviser to the Minister of External Affairs on all matters of policy and administration within the External Affairs Ministry.
The role of Foreign Secretary is as follows:
- To act as the administrative head of the Ministry of External Affairs. The responsibility in this regard is complete and undivided.
- To act as the chief adviser to the Minister of External Affairs on all aspects of policy and administrative affairs.
- To represent the Ministry of External Affairs before the Public Accounts Committee of the Parliament of India.
- To act as the first among equals among the Secretaries in the Ministry of External Affairs.
Emolument, accommodation and perquisitesEdit
As the Foreign Secretary is of the rank of Secretary to Government of India.
|Base Salary as per 7th Pay Commission (Per month)||Pay Matrix Level||Sources|
|₹225,000 (US$3,300)||Pay Level 17|||
List of Foreign SecretariesEdit
- "Report of the 7th Central Pay Commission of India" (PDF). Seventh Central Pay Commission, Government of India. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- Biswas, Shreya, ed. (29 June 2016). "7th Pay Commission cleared: What is the Pay Commission? How does it affect salaries?". India Today. Retrieved 24 September 2017.
- "Vijay Gokhale takes charge as foreign secretary of India - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "BJP defends move to replace foreign secretary, says no political motive". Hindustan Times. 29 January 2015. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "Order of Precedence" (PDF). Rajya Sabha. President's Secretariat. 26 July 1979. Retrieved 24 September 2017.
- "Table of Precedence" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. President's Secretariat. 26 July 1979. Retrieved 24 September 2017.
- "Table of Precedence". Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. President's Secretariat. Retrieved 24 September 2017.
- Maheshwari, S.R. (2000). Indian Administration (6th Edition). New Delhi: Orient Blackswan Private Ltd. ISBN 9788125019886.
- "Central Secretariat Manual of Office Procedure - 14th Edition (2015)" (PDF). Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pension. p. 6. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- Laxmikanth, M. (2014). Governance in India (2nd Edition). Noida: McGraw Hill Education. pp. 3.1–3.10. ISBN 978-9339204785.
- Nirupama Rao is India's new foreign secretary The Times of India, 1 August 2009."Chokila Iyer was first woman, Indian Foreign Secretary in 2001."