For Your Precious Love
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011)
"For Your Precious Love" is a song written by Arthur Brooks, Richard Brooks and Jerry Butler, and performed by Jerry Butler and The Impressions in 1958. The song was ranked #335 on Rolling Stone magazine's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time in 2010.
|"For Your Precious Love"|
|Single by Jerry Butler and The Impressions|
|B-side||"Sweet Was the Wine"|
|Genre||Rhythm and blues|
|Songwriter(s)||Arthur Brooks, Richard Brooks and Jerry Butler|
It was released as a single on Vee-Jay Records and peaked at number 3 on the Most Played R&B chart, and number 11 on the Billboard Top 100 charts. In addition, a new version by Butler himself, who peaked at number 99 on the Hot 100 chart in March 1966.
The song has been covered numerous times with many versions reaching the US charts as well:
- Garnet Mimms (1963, Hot 100 #26)
- Otis Redding covered the song for his album The Great Otis Redding Sings Soul Ballads in 1965.
- Oscar Toney, Jr. (1967, Hot 100 #23)
- Jackie Wilson and Count Basie (1968, Hot 100 #49)
- Linda Jones as "Your Precious Love" (1972, Hot 100 #74)
- Aaron Neville covered the song for his album Orchid in the Stone in 1986.
- The Rolling Stones covered it during their sessions for 1989's Steel Wheels album. It was never released, but can be heard on YouTube.
- A 1968 version in South Africa by the Durban based group, The Flames, reached the top spot on the local charts and has been considered a classic in the country ever since.
- Roy Meriwether covered this instrumentally, on the album “Soul Knight” (1968, Capitol Records)
- ASCAP Title Search (title must be entered to search line)
- "Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time". Rolling Stone. April 7, 2011. Retrieved October 1, 2015.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 272.
- "Top 20 Hit Singles of 1968". South Africa's Rock Lists Website. Retrieved 10 June 2013.