Foot Loose & Fancy Free
Foot Loose & Fancy Free is Rod Stewart's eighth album, released in November 1977 on Riva Records in the UK and Warner Bros in the US.
|Foot Loose & Fancy Free|
|Studio album by|
|Released||4 November 1977|
|Label||Riva, Warner Bros.|
|Rod Stewart chronology|
|Singles from Foot Loose & Fancy Free|
|Christgau's Record Guide||B–|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
The album is the final album in a string of Stewart's acclaimed 1970s albums, beginning with Atlantic Crossing and ending with A Night On The Town. The album contains elements of hard rock ("Hot Legs"), funk rock ("You're Insane"), and progressive rock ("You Keep Me Hanging On"), as well as Stewart's usual ballads ("You're In My Heart"). "I Was Only Joking", a tale about regret and the care-free minds of the young, has become one of Stewart's most loved compositions.
Side one (Fast Side)
- "Hot Legs" (Rod Stewart, Gary Grainger) – 5:14
- "You're Insane" (Stewart, Phil Chen) – 4:48
- "You're in My Heart (The Final Acclaim)" (Stewart) – 4:30
- "Born Loose" (Stewart, Granger, Jim Cregan) – 6:02
Side two (Slow Side)
- Rod Stewart – lead and backing vocals
- Fred Tackett - Acoustic guitar (A3)
- Steve Cropper – guitar
- David Foster – keyboards
- Gary Grainger – guitar, backing vocals
- Billy Peek – guitar, backing vocals
- Phil Chen – bass guitar, drums, backing vocals
- Nicky Hopkins – synthesizer
- Jim Cregan – guitar, backing vocals
- Carmine Appice – drums, backing vocals
- Roger Bethelmy – drums ( A3. B2 )
- John Jarvis – keyboards, backing vocals
- Paulinho Da Costa, Tommy Vig – percussion
- John Mayall – harmonica on "Born Loose"
- Phil Kenzie – saxophone
- Richard Greene – violin
- Mark Stein – background vocals on "You Keep Me Hangin' On"
- Andy Johns – background vocals, engineering and mixing
- Wally Heider – engineering
- John Naslen – engineering
- Sy Potma – engineering
- Lee Hulko – mastering
Billboard (U.S) – album
|1978||Foot Loose & Fancy Free||Pop Albums||2|
Dutch LP Top 50 (The Netherlands)
|1977||Foot Loose & Fancy Free||LP Top 50||3|
Kent Music Report (Australia) – album
|1977||Foot Loose & Fancy Free||Australian Kent Music Report Albums Chart||1|
Billboard (U.S) – singles
|1978||"Hot Legs"||Pop Singles||28|
|"I Was Only Joking"||Pop Singles||22|
|"You're In My Heart (The Final Acclaim)"||Pop Singles||4|
|Canada (Music Canada)||4× Platinum||400,000^|
|Hong Kong (IFPI Hong Kong)||Platinum||20,000*|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Platinum||15,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||300,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||3× Platinum||3,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- AllMusic review
- Christgau, Robert (1981). "Consumer Guide '70s: S". Christgau's Record Guide: Rock Albums of the Seventies. Ticknor & Fields. ISBN 089919026X. Retrieved 13 March 2019 – via robertchristgau.com.
- Rolling Stone review
- Rolling Stone Album Guide Archived 5 January 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- "Canadian album certifications – Rod Stewart – Foot Loose & Fancy Free". Music Canada. Retrieved 17 October 2019.
- "IFPIHK Gold Disc Award − 1979". IFPI Hong Kong. Retrieved 17 October 2019.
- "New Zealand album certifications – Rod Stewart – Foot Loose & Fancy Free". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved 16 November 2019.
- "British album certifications – Rod Stewart – Foot Loose And Fancy Free". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 17 October 2019. Select albums in the Format field. Select Platinum in the Certification field. Type Foot Loose And Fancy Free in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American album certifications – Rod Stewart – Foot Loose & Fancy Free". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 17 October 2019. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.