Folio, also known as Folio: The Magazine of Magazine Management and Folio: magazine, is a trade magazine for the magazine industry. The magazine was established in 1972 by Joe Hanson of Hanson Publications, Inc. and became known as "the bible of the magazine publishing industry".
Associated initiatives include The FOLIO: Show, a magazine industry trade show and conference; FOLIO: 400, a comprehensive review of major America magazines; The FOLIO: Ad Guide, analyzing magazine advertising; and the FOLIO: Source Book, a buyer’s guide for publishers. The publishers of Folio also organize the Eddie & Ozzie Awards in recognition of high-quality magazines and induct new members into the Editorial & Design Hall of Fame.
As of 2020, it was announced that Folio magazine would cease publication. However, the publisher would continue to support its other industry activities.
The publishing company name is Folio Publishing Corporation. It also produces two special annual editions:
The magazine covers various financial and publishing aspects of the magazine publishing industry. Many stories focus on a particular periodical. Folio is a "vertical" publication "aimed at people who hold different jobs within" the magazine publishing industry.
- Philip H. Dougherty (October 3, 1984). "Executives From Folio Acquire Magazine Age". The New York Times.
- Dennis F. Herrick (2012). Media Management in the Age of Giants: Business Dynamics of Journalism. ISBN 978-8-1229-01924.
- "Advertise in the Yale Alumni Magazine". Yale Alumni Magazine.
Andrew Solomon won a 2011 gold Eddie award from Folio: magazine.
- Mary H. Munroe (February 2004). "Bibliography (The Academic Publishing Industry: A Story of Merger and Acquisition)".
- "Joe Hanson Wins 38th Annual G.D. Crain Award". FOLIO. May 1, 2006. Retrieved June 21, 2021.
- "Editor's Notebook". Government Executive. September 1, 1998. Retrieved June 22, 2021.
- "The 2019 Magazine of the Year Finalists Announced". FOLIO. September 26, 2019. Retrieved June 22, 2021.
- Sukhai, Tabitha (November 1, 2019). "Harvard Business Review Wins Magazine of the Year at the Eddie & Ozzie Awards Gala". FOLIO. Retrieved June 22, 2021.
- "The untimely and sad deaths of Folio: and Publishing Executive Magazine". What's New In Publishing. Retrieved June 21, 2021.
- Folio 400. ISBN 978-9-9968-74277.
- The Folio 400. OCLC 7623562.
OCLC Number 7623562
- William H. Taft (2015). Encyclopedia of Twentieth Century Journalists. ISBN 978-1-1389-26318.
told Folio magazine he was concentrating on "long-term strategy" for Newsweek.
- "Trade Publication". Advertising Age. September 15, 2003.
- "The Washington Post's Annie Granatstein named ..." The Washington Post. April 3, 2019.
- "NYT Mag Wins Big at Virtual National Magazine Awards". Folio magazine. May 28, 2020.
Washington Post Magazine, in the single-topic issue category