Floyd Westerman(Redirected from Floyd Red Crow Westerman)
Floyd Westerman, also known as Kanghi Duta i.e. "Red Crow" in Dakota (August 17, 1936 – December 13, 2007), was a Sioux musician, political activist, and actor. After establishing a career as a country music singer, later in his life, he became a leading actor depicting Native Americans in American films and television. He is sometimes credited simply as Floyd Westerman. He worked as a political activist for Native American causes.
|Floyd "Red Crow" Westerman|
Westerman aka Kanghi Duta
August 17, 1936
Lake Traverse Indian Reservation, South Dakota, U.S.
|Died||December 13, 2007
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Resting place||Saint Matthew's Catholic Cemetery, Veblen, South Dakota, U.S.|
|Other names||Kanghi Duta|
|Occupation||Actor, artist, musician|
He was born Floyd Westerman on the Lake Traverse Indian Reservation, home of the Sisseton Wahpeton Oyate, a federally recognized tribe. It is one of the tribes of the Eastern Dakota subgroup of the Great Sioux Nation, living within the U.S. state of South Dakota. His indigenous name Kanghi Duta means "Red Crow" in Dakota (one of the three Sioux related languages).
At the age of 10, Westerman was sent to the Wahpeton Boarding School, where he first met Dennis Banks (who as an adult became a leader of the American Indian Movement). There Westerman and other boys were forced to cut their traditionally long hair and forbidden to speak their native languages. This experience would profoundly impact Westerman's later life. As an adult, he championed his own heritage.
Before entering films and television, Westerman had established a solid reputation as a country-western music singer. His recordings offer a probing analysis of European influences in Native American communities. In addition to several solo recordings, Westerman collaborated with Jackson Browne, Willie Nelson, Bonnie Raitt, Harry Belafonte, Joni Mitchell, Kris Kristofferson, and Buffy Sainte-Marie. In the 1990s, he toured with Sting to raise funds to preserve rain forests.
Westerman became interested in acting after years of performing as a singer. He debuted his film career in Renegades (1989), in which he played "Red Crow", the Lakota Sioux father of Hank Storm, the character played by Lou Diamond Phillips. Additional film roles include "Chief Ten Bears" in Dances with Wolves (1990), and the "shaman" for the singer Jim Morrison in Oliver Stone's The Doors (1991). Westerman appeared as Standing Elk, alongside his long-time friend Max Gail, in the family film, Tillamook Treasure (2006). He appeared in Hidalgo (2004), as Chief Eagle Horn in Buffalo Bill's circus. In September 2007, Westerman finished work for the film Swing Vote (2008).
Television roles included playing "George" on Dharma & Greg, "Uncle Ray" on Walker, Texas Ranger (in the pilot and first regular seasons), "One Who Waits" on Northern Exposure, and multiple appearances as "Albert Hosteen" on The X-Files.
- Powwow Highway (1989) - CB Radio Voice (voice)
- Renegades (1989) - Red Crow
- Dances with Wolves (1990) - Ten Bears
- The Making of 'Dances with Wolves' (1990) - TV Short documentary - Himself
- Son of the Morning Star (1991, TV Mini-Series) - Sitting Bull
- The Doors (1991) - Shaman
- Clearcut (1991) - Wilf
- The Broken Chain (1993, TV Movie) - Tribe Elder
- Jonathan of the Bears (1994) - Chief Tawanka
- Lakota Woman: Siege at Wounded Knee (1994, TV Movie) - Mary's grandfather
- 500 Nations (1995, TV Mini-Series) - (voice)
- Buffalo Girls (1995, TV Mini-Series) - No Ears
- Dusting Cliff 7 (1997) - Indian Bob
- The Brave (1997) - Papa
- Naturally Native (1998) - Chairman Pico
- Grey Owl (1999) - Pow Wow Chief
- Graduation Night (2003) - Old Man
- Atlantis: Milo's Return (2003) - Chakashi (voice)
- Dreamkeeper (2003, TV Movie) - Iron Spoon
- Hidalgo (2004) - Chief Eagle Horn
- Tillamook Treasure (2006) - Standing Elk
- Comanche Moon (2008, TV Mini-Series) - First Old Comanche
- Swing Vote (2008) - Chief Running Bear (final film role)
Selected television appearancesEdit
- MacGyver (1988, TV Series) - Two Eagles
- Captain Planet and the Planeteers (1990, TV Series) - Indian Chief (voice)
- L.A. Law (1991, TV Series) - Judge William Gainser
- Northern Exposure (1991-1993, TV Series) - One-Who-Waits
- Murder, She Wrote (1992, TV Series) - Uncle Ashie Nakai
- Walker, Texas Ranger (1993-1994, TV Series) - Uncle Ray Firewalker
- 500 Nations (1995, TV Mini-Series) (voice)
- Roseanne (1995, TV Series) - Floyd
- The X-Files (1995-1999, TV Series) - Albert Hosteen
- The Pretender (1997, TV Series) - Ernie Two Feathers
- Baywatch Nights (1997, TV Series) - Indian Guide Wahote
- Poltergeist: The Legacy (1997, TV Series) - Ezekial
- Millennium (1997, TV Series) - Old Indian
- Dharma & Greg (1997-2001, TV Series) - George Littlefox
- Judging Amy (2001, TV Series) - Mr. Wheeler
- Song artist page from PBS
- Robert Jablon (December 16, 2007). "Floyd Red Crow Westerman, 71; Performer, activist". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2007-12-24.
- Canku Ota – June 3, 2000 – Floyd Westerman
- Andréa Ford, "Milestones – Died: "Floyd (Red Crow) Westerman", Time Magazine, December 27, 2007, accessed October 17, 2010
- Associated Press (December 15, 2007). "American Indian activist, actor appeared in 'Dances With Wolves'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2016-04-24.