Florinel Teodor Coman (Romanian pronunciation: [floriˈnel teˈodor ˈkoman]; born 10 April 1998) is a Romanian professional footballer who plays as a winger for Liga I club FCSB and the Romania national team.
|Full name||Florinel Teodor Coman|
|Date of birth||10 April 1998|
|Place of birth||Brăila, Romania|
|Height||1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|2011–2014||Gheorghe Hagi Academy|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 8 March 2020|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 18 November 2019
Being promoted from Viitorul Constanța's academy by first-team manager Gheorghe Hagi, Coman made his professional debut coming on as a substitute in a Liga I match against Astra Giurgiu on 18 March 2015. On 14 August 2016, aged 18, he scored his first goal in a 3–1 league victory over ASA Târgu Mureș.
Coman was the Liga I Player of the Month for February 2017 after scoring one each against Dinamo București, Pandurii Târgu Jiu and ACS Poli Timișoara respectively. He was once again on the scoresheet on 18 March, after netting the opener in a 3–1 home win against FCSB. On 13 May, Coman obtained the penalty from which his team scored the sole goal of the final fixture with CFR Cluj, a crucial moment in Viitorul's first-ever national title win.
After Portuguese club Benfica showed interest in acquiring Coman, he moved to FCSB on 21 August 2017 for a reported €2 million plus €500,000 in add-ons. His release clause was set at that time at a Romanian record of €100 million, with former club Viitorul Constanța also being entitled to 20% of a future transfer fee, economic rights which were bought in November for €1 million.
Coman scored his first goals for the Roș-albaștrii on 22 October 2017, netting twice in a 7–0 thrashing of ACS Poli Timișoara. On 2 November, he recorded his first European goal in the UEFA Europa League 1–1 draw with Hapoel Be'er Sheva. Also in the latter competition, Coman entered the pitch after half-time in a round of 32 1–5 loss to Lazio at the Stadio Olimpico and contributed to Harlem Gnohéré's goal, on 22 February 2018. After an inconsistent start at FCSB, he cemented his place in the starting eleven in his second season in Bucharest, amassing twelve goals from 38 appearances across all competitions.
On 14 July 2019, in the opening fixture of the 2019–20 Liga I, he scored and provided an assist in a 4–3 victory over FC Hermannstadt. He then went on to score one each in the two-legged tie against Armenian club Alashkert counting for the UEFA Europa League second qualifying round, which his team won 5–3 on aggregate. FCSB failed to qualify for the group stage for a second year in a row after losing to Vitória S.C. in the play-off round; Coman however rose to prominence individually, as he had scored ten goals and was the top scorer of the domestic league by the turn of the year. His good form earned him the fifth place in Gazeta Sporturilor's 2019 Romanian Footballer of the Year award, tied with Ianis Hagi.
Coman featured for Romania at the 2019 UEFA European Under-21 Championship, mostly as a second-half substitute. In the group fixture on 21 June, he entered in the 63rd minute for Andrei Ivan, obtained a penalty and scored a double to help to a 4–2 victory against England. He then earned his first and only start in a goalless draw with France, with both teams progressing further to the semi-finals, where Romania suffered a 2–4 defeat to Germany.
Coman made his full debut for Romania on 12 October 2019, in a Euro 2020 qualifier against the Faroe Islands, and was replaced by Alexandru Mitriță after 69 minutes in an eventual 3–0 victory for his nation.
Style of playEdit
- As of 8 March 2020
- As of 18 November 2019
- Viitorul Constanța
- "Florinel Coman ține cu Dinamo! Cel mai în formă atacant din Liga I, lider cu Viitorul, reface povestea carierei lui: "Modelul meu a fost Van Nistelrooy"" [Florinel Coman supports Dinamo! The most in-form Liga I forward, top in the table with Viitorul, tells the story of his career: "My role model was Van Nistelrooy"]. Libertatea (in Romanian). Retrieved 8 May 2017.[permanent dead link]
- "Primele declarații ale lui Coman după ce a semnat cu FCSB. "În copilărie țineam cu Dinamo"" [Coman's first words after he signed for FCSB. "I supported Dinamo as a child"] (in Romanian). Digi Sport. 21 August 2017. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- "Viitorul - Astra 2–0" (in Romanian). Digi Sport. 18 April 2015. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "Fl. Coman, după primul gol în Liga 1: "Nu sunt urmașul lui Tănase, eu vreau la o echipă de top din Europa"" [Fl. Coman, after his first Liga 1 goal: "I'm not Tănase's heir, I want to play for a top European club] (in Romanian). Digi Sport. 14 August 2016.
- "Coman a fost aproape de un gol de generic în meciul înaintea căruia a primit și trofeul de "Fotbalistul lunii" februarie" [Coman was inches away from scoring an amazing goal after he received the "Player of the Month" trophy for February] (in Romanian). Digi Sport. 14 March 2017. Retrieved 14 March 2017.
- "Căsăpiți! Viitorul rupe tradiția negativă a ultimelor meciuri cu Steaua și o învinge de o manieră categorică, 3-1" [Slaughtered! Viitorul breaks the negative tradition of the last matches against Steaua and defeats it in a categorical manner, 3–1]. Gazeta Sporturilor (in Romanian). 18 March 2017. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "Viitorul - CFR 1–0" (in Romanian). Digi Sport. 13 May 2017. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- "Roménia: jogador referenciado pelo Benfica está a caminho do Steaua" [Romania: player wanted by Benfica is on his way to Steaua] (in Portuguese). MaisFutebol. 21 August 2017. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- "Florinel Coman a semnat cu FCSB. Clauză record pentru fotbalul românesc: "E peste Mutu, depăşit doar de Hagi". Becali, despre "cel mai bun transfer din istoria clubului"" [Florinel Coman signed with FCSB. Record release clause for the Romanian football: "He is better than Mutu, only Hagi surpasses him". Becali, on "the best transfer in the history of the club"] (in Romanian). ProSport. 21 August 2017. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- "TOATE cifrele supertransferului Florinel Coman la FCSB » Bonus gras pentru Hagi, în cazul în care FCSB intră în grupele Ligii + clauză de reziliere astronomică!" [ALL the numbers of Florinel Coman's supertransfer to FCSB » Notable bonus for Hagi, in the instance where FCSB enters Champions League group stage + incredible release clause!]. Gazeta Sporturilor (in Romanian). 21 August 2017. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- "Becali și Miriuță, dialog în direct despre transferul lui Nemec! Ironia patronului de la FCSB la adresa marii rivale + anunță un nou transfer" [Becali and Miriuță, discussion about Nemec's transfer! FCSB's owner irony for the great rival + he announced a new transfer]. Gazeta Sporturilor (in Romanian). 16 November 2017.
- "Așteptare cu succes! Florinel Coman, primele goluri la FCSB, după aproape 250 de minute" [Worth waiting! Florinel Coman, first goals for FCSB after almost 250 minutes] (in Romanian). Digi Sport. 22 October 2017. Retrieved 24 October 2017.
- "FCSB 1–1 H. Beer-Sheva". UEFA.com. 2 November 2017. Retrieved 11 November 2017.
- "Lazio 5–1 FCSB". UEFA.com. 22 February 2018. Retrieved 3 April 2020.
- "FCSB - Hermannstadt 4-3. "Nu mă așteptam la atâtea goluri!" Coman a fost omul meciului" [FCSB - Hermannstadt 4-3. "I did not expect so many goals!" Coman was the Man of the Match] (in Romanian). Digi Sport. 14 July 2019. Retrieved 3 April 2020.
- "FCSB - ALASHKERT 2-3 // Ilie Dumitrescu, fără menajamente: „FCSB a arătat ca o echipă mică!" » Care crede că e cauza problemelor" [FCSB - ALASHKERT 2-3 // Ilie Dumitrescu, ruthless: "FCSB looked liked a small team!" » What he considers to be the source of all problems]. Gazeta Sporturilor (in Romanian). 2 August 2019. Retrieved 3 April 2020.
- "Florinel Coman, golgheterul Ligii 1 la finalul anului! Reactia fotbalistului cu care Becali vrea sa dea LOVITURA! Ce a spus dupa victoria in fata Craiovei" [Florinel Coman, the Liga I top goalscorer at the end of the year! The reaction of the footballer with which Becali wants to hit the jackpot! What he said after the victory against Craiova] (in Romanian). Sport.ro. 22 December 2019. Retrieved 3 April 2020.
- "Romania - Player of the Year Awards". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Retrieved 3 April 2020.
5. Ianis HAGI (Viitorul Constanta / KRC Genk)
Florinel Teodor COMAN (FCSB Bucuresti)
- "Presa din Anglia nu a avut milă de conaţionali: "Copiii lui Boothroyd au fost distruși de România". Cum l-au poreclit pe Coman" [English press did not have mercy for their co-nationals: "Boothroyd's children were destroyed by Romania." How they nicknamed Coman] (in Romanian). Digi Sport. 21 June 2019. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "Germany 4–2 Romania". UEFA.com. 27 June 2019. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "Faroe Islands v Romania". ESPN. 12 October 2019.
- "Gica Hagi sustine ca a descoperit un fotbalist la fel de bun precum Mbappe, cotat la peste 150 de milioane de euro" [Gică Hagi claims he has found a footballer as good as Mbappé, the latter being valued at over €150 million] (in Romanian). Ziare.com. 16 May 2017. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- "Coman a vorbit cu presa din Portugalia: "Mi-ar plăcea să joc la Benfica. Cristiano Ronaldo e idolul meu, aş vrea să ajung ca el" Lusitanii au cerut referinţe consistente înainte de a demara negocierile" [Coman talked to the Portuguese press: "I would like to play for Benfica. Cristiano Ronaldo is my role model, I want to be like him" The lusitanians asked for solid references before starting the negotiations] (in Romanian). ProSport. 18 May 2017. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "F. Coman". Soccerway. Retrieved 14 March 2017.
- "Florinel Coman". European Football. Retrieved 13 October 2019.