The Flora Tristán Peruvian Women's Center (Spanish: Centro de la Mujer Peruana Flora Tristán or CMP Flora Tristán) is a feminist non-governmental organization established in Lima in 1979 in defense of women's human rights and equality.
Centro de la Mujer Peruana Flora Tristán
|Named after||Flora Tristan|
The current executive director is sociologist Liz Meléndez.
CMP Flora Tristán has been connected with the advancement of women's rights in Peru since its founding in 1979. It was named in honor of French-Peruvian socialist writer and activist Flora Tristan. Its founders include the feminist sociologists Narda Henríquez and Virginia Vargas. The latter served as the organization's coordinator, and later as its director until 1990.
The jurist Giulia Tamayo León was responsible for the legal assistance program for defense of victims of gender violence, including violence and sexual exploitation against minors. She was also the center's director from 1994 to 1996.
In 2004, on the occasion its 25th anniversary, the center organized the national seminar "25 Years of Feminism in Peru", analyzing the evolution of the feminist movement and creating a strategy for working to advance public policies.
The organization develops strategies for research, training, advice, communication, legal and health services, as well as the dissemination of information. It conducts specialized training, in addition to promoting and participating in the formulation and negotiation of public policies to advance women's rights.
Among the programs it has developed are the Feminist Studies and Debate Program, research on femicides in Peru – in which the organization was a pioneer – the prevention of violence against women, and the empowerment of women in economic and political spaces. It also promotes the campaign to prevent, punish and eradicate political harassment against women.
- Consultative Status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
- 28 September Campaign, Day for the Decriminalization of Abortion in Latin America and the Caribbean
Awards and recognitionEdit
- Romero Bidegaray, Inés (September 2002). El aborto clandestino en el Perú [Clandestine Abortion in Peru] (PDF) (in Spanish). Lima. ISBN 9972610438.
- Cevasco, Gaby, ed. (December 2004). 25 años de feminismo en el perú: Historia, confluencias y perspectivas [25 Years of Feminism in Peru: History, Confluences, and Perspectives] (PDF) (in Spanish). Lima. ISBN 9972610675.
- Vargas, Virginia (2006). El movimiento feminista en el horizonte democrático peruano (décadas 1980–1990) [The Feminist Movement on the Peruvian Democratic Horizon (Decades 1980–1990)] (in Spanish). ISBN 9789972610837.
- Zunic, Liliana, ed. (2006). Las mujeres positivas. La situación de las mujeres viviendo con VIH/Sida en el Perú [Positive Women: The Situation of Women Living With HIV/AIDS in Peru] (PDF) (in Spanish). Lima. ISBN 997261087X.
- Tristan, Flora (2007). El tour de Francia [The Tour of France] (in Spanish). Translated by Westphalen, Yolanda. Lima.
- Manual de Formación Política y Gestión Local con Equidad de Género [Manual of Political Training and Local Management With Gender Equity] (PDF) (in Spanish). Lima. February 2007. ISBN 9789972610936.
- "NGOs Which are in Consultative Status with ECOSOC and/or Accredited to the Fourth World Conference on Women". United Nations Economic and Social Council. Retrieved 12 August 2021.
- "Prevención de la violencia de género y derechos LGBTI ausentes en discurso presidencial" [Prevention of Gender Violence and LGBTI Rights Absent in Presidential Speech]. Wayka (in Spanish). 29 July 2021. Retrieved 12 August 2021.
- "Narda Henríquez: Biografía" (in Spanish). Free University of Berlin. Retrieved 12 August 2021.
- Tompkins, Cynthia; Foster, David William, eds. (2001). "Virginia Vargas". Notable Twentieth-century Latin American Women: A Biographical Dictionary. Greenwood Publishing Group. pp. 287–289. ISBN 9780313311123. Retrieved 12 August 2021 – via Google Books.
- "Giulia Tamayo León" (in Spanish). La Periférica. Retrieved 12 August 2021.
- "Historia" (in Spanish). Flora Tristán Peruvian Women's Center. Retrieved 12 August 2021.
- Meléndez, Liz. "El Feminicidio en el Perú, caminos recorridos y retos para su prevención y sanción" [Femicide in Peru, Paths Taken and Challenges for its Prevention and Punishment] (PDF) (in Spanish). Congress of the Republic of Peru. Retrieved 12 August 2021.
- "Ordenanza para prevenir, sancionar y erradicar el acoso político contra las mujeres en Lima Metropolitana" [Ordinance to Prevent, Punish, and Eradicate Political Harassment Against Women in Metropolitan Lima]. El Peruano (in Spanish). 22 March 2021. pp. 6–8. Retrieved 12 August 2021.
- "Presentan proyecto de ley que despenaliza aborto por violación" [Project of Law Decriminalizing Abortion for Rape Presented] (in Spanish). Congress of the Republic of Peru. Retrieved 12 August 2021.
- "Mimp: Flora Tristán y Moscoso Leisné es condecorada con Orden Emérito a las Mujeres del Bicentenario" [MIMP: Flora Tristán and Moscoso Leisné are Awarded the Order Emeritus to the Women of the Bicentennial]. El Peruano (in Spanish). 16 July 2021. Retrieved 12 August 2021.
- Official website (in Spanish)