|Adopted||February 13, 1967|
|Designed by||E. L. Gilchrist|
It is bisected horizontally by a thin white line (a fimbriation, approximately 1/27th of the flag's height) with a dark red top and a dark blue bottom. A large, white 5-pointed star (approximately 14/15ths of the flag's height) dominates the flag and contains the city seal in buff and black.
Past flags edit
The flag in use between 1916 and 1967 (though it was not actually produced until 1954) was a non-rectangular flag (similar to the flag of Ohio) colored blue, but unlike the current flag, there is no fimbriation. The center of the flag contains the state of Texas in white with a star and the name "Dallas" marking the city's position in the state.
Current flag edit
The current flag was designed by E. L. Gilchrist, and was officially adopted by the city of Dallas on February 13, 1967. In 2015, Dallas Morning News stated that while the flag was unlikely to change, it was time to change it. Dallas Magazine proposed a redesign featuring a Pegasus, claiming that it would be easier for children.
On June 17th, 2020 a variant of the flag was approved by the city council to be flown in place of the primary flag during pride month in support of the LGBTQ. The variant features the city's seal with the blue and red background replaced with a rainbow. The rainbow version was used for the remainder of June, 2020 and returned in June of the following years. In June of 2023, Dallas's deputy mayor, assured that the city had no plans to end the tradition and called the city itself a "gigantic rainbow flag."
- Wilonsky, Robert (2015-10-14). "A history of Dallas' official flag, which everyone either forgets about or wants to change". The Dallas Morning News. Archived from the original on June 24, 2016. Retrieved December 13, 2016.
- CRW Flags - Flags of the World, Dallas, Texas. By António Martins, authored 31 August 2000. Retrieved 1 October 2006.
- CRW Flags - Flags of the World, Dallas, Texas. By Phil Nelson, authored 18 June 2000. Retrieved 1 October 2006.
- Heid, Jason (2015-10-01). "Why the Dallas City Flag Sucks". D Magazine. Retrieved 2023-09-21.
- "Pride flag to be raised at City Hall - Dallas City News". Retrieved 2023-09-21.
- Odom, Antoinette (2023-06-02). "Annual raising of the Pride flag in Dallas". Spectrum Local News. Retrieved 2023-09-21.
- Carter, Simone. "Dallas Rings in Pride Month by Raising the Rainbow City Flag". Dallas Observer. Retrieved 2023-09-21.