First the Egg
First the Egg is a New York Times bestselling children's picture book written and illustrated by Laura Vaccaro Seeger, published by Roaring Book Press in 2007. It was a Caldecott Honor Book in 2008 and also appeared on the New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Books list and the American Library Association Notable Children's Books list.
|Author||Laura Vaccaro Seeger|
|Illustrator||Laura Vaccaro Seeger|
|Publisher||Roaring Brook Press|
|September 4, 2007|
|Awards||Caldecott Honor Book|
The book comprises a series of die-cut pages which convey various forms of transformation. Seeger also uses word play and alters the composition of the illustrations between cut-outs to create unexpected relationships between basic concepts such as time, opposites, and colors.
Awards and honorsEdit
- "New York Times Best Sellers - April 20, 2008", New York Times.
- "Caldecott Medal & Honor Books, 1938-Present", American Library Association.
- "New York Times Sunday Book Review", New York Times, November 11, 2007.
- “2008 Notable Children's Books”, American Library Association.
- First the Egg, Kirkus Reviews, September 1, 2007.
- "First the Egg". www.publishersweekly.com. PWxyz LLC. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- Myers, Lindsay (2009). "First the Egg". Inis #30 (Winter). Children's Books Ireland. Retrieved 2 April 2015.