First Church of Christ, Scientist (Berkeley, California)
First Church of Christ, Scientist, Berkeley, now also known as Christian Science Society, Berkeley, is a Christian Science church, located at 2619 Dwight Way at Bowditch Street across the street from People's Park, in the South Berkeley neighborhood of Berkeley, in Alameda County, California.
First Church of Christ, Scientist
|Location||2619 Dwight Way, Berkeley, California|
|Architect||Bernard Ralph Maybeck|
|Architectural style||Mixed (more Than 2 Styles From Different Periods)|
|NRHP reference #||77000283|
|Added to NRHP||December 22, 1977|
|Designated NHL||December 22, 1977 |
|Designated BERKL||December 15, 1975 |
The Christian Science Society, Berkeley continues to meet in their over-100-year-old church building.
The First Church of Christ, Scientist, Berkeley held its first service in Wilkin's Hall, 2412 Haste Street, on Sunday, March 12, 1905, and its present membership— October, 1905—is forty-eight. A lot was bought (2892 Dwight Way) in June, and a church building will be erected later on.— The Christian Science Journal (December 1905)
The historic 1910 church was designed by renowned architect Bernard Ralph Maybeck (1862–1957), in a primarily American Craftsman style, with Byzantine Revival, Romanesque Revival, and Gothic Revival style elements. The church is widely considered one of Maybeck's masterpieces.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1977, and is on the National Register of Historic Places in Alameda County, California.
In October 2005, the Friends of First Church Berkeley were awarded a prestigious federal Save America's Treasurers (SAT) Grant, for the roof replacement and seismic strengthening of the 1910 Church and much of the 1929 Sunday School addition. The church received a Getty Architectural Conservation Implementation Grant in 2006, to enable the completion of the seismic strengthening of the Church and Sunday School addition. In 2009 and 2010, the Friends of First Church Berkeley received University of California Berkeley Chancellor's Community Partnership Grants for restoring the garden setting of the church.
- "Berkeley Landmarks". Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association. Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- National Park Service (January 23, 2007). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "First Church of Christ, Scientist". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. September 27, 2007.
- 1st Church of Christ, Scientist, Berkeley First Church of Christ, Scientist, Berkeley homepage
- Christian Science Society, Berkeley homepage
- Christian Science Society, Berkeley.org: From The Christian Science Journal, December 1905, "Among the Churches, Progress in Berkeley, California"
- Friends of First Church Berkeley: Interior
- Maybeck and His Work
- Berkeley Landmarks – First Church of Christ, Scientist
- Pitts, Carolyn (July 1977). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: First Church of Christ Scientist" (pdf). National Park Service. and Accompanying 5 photos, exterior, undated, assumed 1977 or earlier (2.52 MB)
- Friends of First Church Berkeley: Preservation Grants
- Friends of First Church Berkeley: Restoration images
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to |
First Church of Christ, Scientist (Berkeley, California).