Firebrand Games Limited is a British video game developer based in Glasgow, Scotland. Founded by chief executive officer Mark Greenshields in 2006, the company opened a second office in Merritt Island, Florida, in September 2007.
|Industry||Video game industry|
|Mark Greenshields (CEO)|
Firebrand Games was founded by Mark Greenshields in 2006, after his previous venture, DC Studios, closed its operations in the United Kingdom. Greenshields since holds his position as chief executive officer for the company. On 25 September 2007, the company announced a second office in Merritt Island, Florida. This office effectively replaced DC Studios' only remaining studio, which was based in Montreal. In September 2008, Firebrand Games' headquarters were moved into new, larger office spaces within Glasgow. By August 2010, primarily due the cost of doing business in Scotland, the Meritt Island office had grown larger, as measured by headcount, than the Glasgow headquarters.
Through its lifetime, Firebrand Games has primarily worked on Nintendo DS versions of pre-existing intellectual properties in the racing genre, including TrackMania and Need for Speed. Several of these were created using the in-house game engine titled 3D Octane. In May 2011, the company stated their intents to develop a game in the F-Zero franchise. Firebrand Games announced their first original intellectual property, Solar Flux, designed as a puzzle game, in July 2013.
- "VG247 Scotland issue #1: Where's the best place to sell games? - VG247". vg247.com. 17 January 2014. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- "Tax breaks - panacea or pestilence?". mcvuk.com. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- "Firebrand opens US office". gamesindustry.biz. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- Boyer, Brandon. "Race Game Developer Firebrand Gets U.S. Office". gamasutra.com. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- "'Montreal is not an efficient place to run a business'". mcvuk.com. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- "Firebrand Games expansion". gamesindustry.biz. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- "Firebrand:". gamesindustry.biz. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- Fahey, Mike. "A Lovely Intergalactic Puzzle Game From An Unexpected Source". kotaku.com. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- "Saving suns with Solar Flux". polygon.com. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- Caoili, Eric. "Interview: Firebrand Games Hits the Gas On DS Racing". gamasutra.com. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- Life, Nintendo (27 May 2011). "Firebrand Would Love to Develop an F-Zero Game". nintendolife.com. Retrieved 9 July 2018.