The Finnish Wikipedia (Finnish: Suomenkielinen Wikipedia) is the edition of Wikipedia in the Finnish language. By article count, it is the 24th largest Wikipedia with about 473,000 articles as of November 2019. Wikipedia is the only encyclopedia in Finnish which is still updated.
Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
The Finnish language project was started in late 2002, but it remained at a very primitive stage until well into 2003. The speed of development picked up somewhat after the MediaWiki software was upgraded to Phase III in late November 2003, and continued to increase steadily through 2004.
Despite the small number of native Finnish speakers and the high number of Finnish speakers who are also fluent in English, the Finnish Wikipedia is currently the 22nd largest Wikipedia with over 250,000 articles. The ratio of Finnish language Wikipedia articles to the number of Finnish speakers is the 16th-largest at 94.4 articles per 1000 speakers. These figures were based on Ethnologue's estimate of 5,009,390 Finnish-speakers.
In 2013 the reliability of the Finnish Wikipedia was investigated by the newspaper Helsingin Sanomat. The researchers used experts to evaluate quality of randomly selected 134 articles and found that 70% of the articles scored well for accuracy.
- 450,000 articles - January 12, 2019
- 400,000 articles - August 29, 2016
- 350,000 articles - July 9, 2014
- 300,000 articles - June 26, 2012
- 250,000 articles - September 24, 2010
- 200,000 articles - April 12, 2009
- 150,000 articles - February 4, 2008
- 100,000 articles - February 11, 2007
- 50,000 articles - February 21, 2006
- 15,000 articles - February 9, 2005
- 5,000 articles - April 15, 2004
- 1,000 articles - September, 2002
In 2019 the Finnish Wikipedia has 72 thousand unique categories. The average article in this language version has 6 categories, while number of unique categories per articles ratio is 0.158. The largest number of articles has People (21%) and Politics (9%) category. In Finnish Wikipedia articles related to Government and Nature has the highest average quality. Content about Government is read more often and has the highest authors' interest on average.
- "List of Wikipedias". meta.wikimedia.org. Wikimedia Foundation. 5 November 2016. Retrieved 1 September 2019.
- Koistinen, Olavi (December 5, 2013). "World's largest study on Wikipedia: Better than its reputation". Helsingin Sanomat. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- List of Wikipedias by speakers per article
- Koistinen, Olavi (November 30, 2013). "HS selvitti: Näin luotettava Wikipedia on" (in Finnish). Helsingin Sanomat. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- Lewoniewski, Włodzimierz; Węcel, Krzysztof; Abramowicz, Witold (2019). "Multilingual Ranking of Wikipedia Articles with Quality and Popularity Assessment in Different Topics". Computers. 8 (3). doi:10.3390/computers8030060. Retrieved 2019-08-24.