Finnboga saga ramma
Finnboga saga ramma (listen (help·info)) (The Saga of Finnbogi the Strong) is an Icelandic saga that recounts the life of Finnbogi rammi. The story takes place in Flateyjardalur in Suður-Þingeyjarsýsla and in other places in Iceland, as well as in Norway. The events supposedly took place in the 10th century. Finnbogi rammi is mentioned in Landnámabók, and Íslendingadrápa.
The saga was likely composed in the fourteenth century, making is one of the younger, "postclassical" sagas". Margrét Eggertsdóttir summaries the saga thus:
Finnboga saga ramma is not one the better-crafted Íslendingasögur. Characterization is flat, and the plot little more than a repetitious series of episodes designed to present the hero in a favorable light. The narrative is nevertheless lively and makes good reading.
A feud in the saga also features in Vatnsdœla saga. Óslen proposed that Finnboga saga ramma was written to present a better version of Finnbogi than that in Vatnsdœla saga. However, van Hamel suggests that the two sagas record different versions of the same incident.
The website handrit.is records 41 manuscripts containing Finnboga saga ramma.
- AM 132 fol. (Möðruvallabók) - 14th century
- AM 519 4to (Tómasarbók) - 15th century
- AM 162c fol (1 leaf) - 15th century
- Gering, Hugo (1879). Finnboga saga hins ramma. Halle: Niemeyer.
- Halldórsson, Jóhannes (1959). Kjalnesinga saga. Íslenzk Fornrit 14. Reykjavík: Hið Íslenzka Fornritafélag.
- Modern Icelandic edition
- Bachman, W. Bryant; Erlingsson, Guðmundur (1990). The Saga of Finnbogi the Strong. Lanham, MD: University Press of America. ISBN 978-0819175946. OCLC 20217973.
- Klapouchy, Robert J. (1974). The Saga of Finnbogi the Strong: A Translation from the Old Norse with an afterword. University of Wisconsin–Madison (M.A. thesis). OCLC 609053741.
- Eggertsdóttir, Margrét (1993). "Finnboga saga ramma". In Pulsiano, Phillip; Wolf, Kirsten (eds.). Medieval Scandinavia: An Encyclopedia. New York: Garland. p. 194. ISBN 978-0824047870.
- Ólsen, Björn M. (1937–1939). "Um Íslendingasögur: Kaflar úr háskólafyrirlestrum". In Blöndal, Sigfús; Sveinsson, Einar Ól. (eds.). Safn til sögu Íslands. Reykjavík: Hið Íslenzka bókmentafélag. pp. 336–348.
- Van Hamel, A. G. (1934). "Vatnsdœlasaga and Finnbogasaga". The Journal of English and Germanic Philology. 33 (1): 1–22. ISSN 0363-6941. JSTOR 27703857.
- "Manuscript Listing | Handrit.is". handrit.is. Retrieved 2019-04-08.
- "Finnboga saga ramma". www.snerpa.is. Retrieved 2019-04-08.
|This Iceland-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|