Filmfare Award for Best Actor
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Filmfare Award for Best Actor is an award, begun in 1954, presented annually at the Filmfare Awards to an actor for the best performance in a leading role in Hindi cinema. This is given by Filmfare as part of its annual Filmfare Awards for Hindi (Bollywood) films. The award was first given in 1954. As of 2018, Dilip Kumar and Shah Rukh Khan lead the list, with eight wins each.
|Filmfare Award for Best Actor|
The 2019 recipient: Ranbir Kapoor
|Awarded for||Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role|
|First awarded||Dilip Kumar, |
|Currently held by||Ranbir Kapoor, |
|Actor with most awards||Dilip Kumar, Shah Rukh Khan||8|
|Actor with most nominations||Amitabh Bachchan||32|
|Actor with most consecutive nominations||Aamir Khan (1989-97)||9|
|Actor with most decades||Amitabh Bachchan||5|
|Actor with most nominations in a single year||Amitabh Bachchan (1979,1983)
Shah Rukh Khan (2005)
|Actor with most nominations without ever winning||Salman Khan||10|
|Oldest winner||Amitabh Bachchan||67|
|Oldest nominee||Amitabh Bachchan||74|
|Youngest winner||Rishi Kapoor||21|
|Youngest nominee||Darsheel Safary||11|
- Dilip Kumar and Shah Rukh Khan, with eight wins, have more Best Actor awards than any other actor. Amitabh Bachchan has five wins, Hrithik Roshan has four wins, Rajesh Khanna , Naseeruddin Shah , Aamir Khan and Ranbir Kapoor have three wins each. Six actors have won the award twice in chronological order they are Raj Kapoor, Sunil Dutt, Dev Anand, Ashok Kumar, Sanjeev Kumar and Anil Kapoor.
- Dilip Kumar also holds the record for most consecutive wins, having won the award for three years in a row from 1956 to 1958. Six other actors have won the award in consecutive years; in chronological order, they are Rajesh Khanna (1971–72), Sanjeev Kumar (1976–77), Amitabh Bachchan (1978–79), Naseeruddin Shah (1981–82), Shah Rukh Khan (1998–99), and Ranbir Kapoor (2012–13).
- Actors who have won both Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor awards include Ashok Kumar, Sanjeev Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan, Shammi Kapoor, Anil Kapoor, Anupam Kher, Sunny Deol, Jackie Shroff, Nana Patekar, Farhan Akhtar, Rishi Kapoor and Irrfan Khan.
- Three actors were nominated for both these awards, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor, for the same performance: Raaj Kumar for Kaajal (1966), Ashok Kumar for Aashirwad (1970) and Kamal Haasan for Saagar (1986). On both occasions, Ashok Kumar and Kamal Haasan won the Best Actor award and Raaj Kumar won the Best Supporting Actor award.
- Ten actors have won the Best Actor award in both the Popular and Critics categories; in chronological order they are; Anupam Kher, Shah Rukh Khan, Anil Kapoor, Amitabh Bachchan, Hrithik Roshan, Aamir Khan, Ranbir Kapoor, Rishi Kapoor, Shahid Kapoor, Irrfan Khan and Ranveer Singh.
- Actors who won both these Best Actor awards (Popular and Critics) in the same year are Shah Rukh Khan (1994), Hrithik Roshan (2004), Amitabh Bachchan (2006) and Ranbir Kapoor (2012).
- Three actors have won the award for their debut performances: Rishi Kapoor for Bobby (1974), Anupam Kher for Saaransh (1985) and Hrithik Roshan for Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai (2001). Other actors who got nominated in this category for their debut performances are Sunny Deol for Betaab (1984) and Darsheel Safary for Taare Zameen Par (2008).
- Darsheel Safary became the youngest Best Actor nominee in the history of Filmfare at the age of 11. Rishi Kapoor became the youngest winner of Best Actor award at the age of 21.
- Aamir Khan has the highest number of consecutive nominations, having been nominated for the Award every year from 1989 till 1997, eventually winning in the 9th consecutive nomination for Raja Hindustani (1997). Followed by Amitabh Bachchan being nominated consecutive eight times from 1976 to 1983 having total 15 nominations and winning the award twice in 1978 and 1979.
- Dilip Kumar achieved supremacy in 1950s with four wins and continued domination in 1960s with three wins. Rajesh Khanna took over in the 1970s with three wins. Naseeruddin Shah emerged successful in the 1980s with three wins. Shah Rukh Khan garnered triumph with four wins in the 1990s. Hrithik Roshan had four wins in 2000s. Ranbir Kapoor led the 2010s with three wins to his credit.
- Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan hold the record for the highest number of Best Actor nominations in a single year. Amitabh Bachchan has been nominated thrice in 1979 and 1983 and Shah Rukh Khan in 2005.
- Dilip Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan are the most awarded actors in the overall acting categories, with eight awards each: Dilip Kumar and Shah Rukh Khan are the winners of eight Best Actor awards, and Amitabh Bachchan is the winner of five Best Actor awards and three Best Supporting Actor awards. Amitabh Bachchan is the most nominated actor in any major acting category at Filmfare, with 41 nominations overall.
- Amitabh Bachchan holds a unique record of receiving nominations in this category in 5 different decades (1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s and 2010s ) and getting award in 4 different decades.
- Hrithik Roshan, Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan are the only actors to be nominated twice for the same role. Hrithik Roshan achieved this feat twice in the Krrish franchise; he was nominated for his role as Krishna Mehra in 2007 and 2014, and for his role as Rohit Mehra in 2004 and 2014 (he won in 2004). Shah Rukh Khan was nominated in 2007 and 2012 for his portrayal of the titular character in Don and Salman Khan was nominated in 2011 and 2013 for his role as Chulbul Pandey in Dabangg and Dabangg 2 respectively.
Multiple nominations and WinnersEdit
Winners and nomineesEdit
|Indicates the winner|
|No Other Nominee|
|Bharat Bhushan||Chaitanya Mahaprabhu||Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu|
|No Other Nominee|
|Dilip Kumar||Abdul Rahim Khan||Azaad|
|Bharat Bhushan||Mirza Ghalib||Mirza Ghalib|
|Dev Anand||Kala Ghoda||Munimji|
|Dilip Kumar||Devdas Mukherjee||Devdas|
|Raj Kapoor||Peasant||Jagte Raho|
|Dilip Kumar||Shankar||Naya Daur|
|No Other Nominee|
|Dev Anand||Karan Mehra||Kala Pani|
|Raj Kapoor||Ram Babu||Phir Subah Hogi|