Fill Me In
|"Fill Me In"|
|Single by Craig David|
|from the album Born to Do It|
|Released||3 April 2000|
|Craig David singles chronology|
UK CD: 2 cover
US CD cover
The song debuted at number one on the UK Singles Chart in April 2000. It was then released in the US in May 2001 and peaked at number 15 on the Billboard Hot 100. According to the Official Charts Company, it was the tenth best-selling single of 2000 in the UK, having sold 495,000 copies.
There is a second part of the song which features on Born to Do It. "Fill Me In" is also sampled in Justin Bieber's 2013 single, "Recovery". In 2015, Pia Mia and Austin Mahone made a cover of the song as a duet with new instrumentals.
The narrator tells a story of trying to hang out with the girl next door but her parents remain suspicious about what she is up to. The song is a commentary on the "helicopter parenting" that was becoming more prominent in the early 2000s. In the hook, the parents ask if their daughter can fill them in on what is going on in her life.
Formats and track listingsEdit
UK CD: 1
- "Fill Me In" (radio edit)
- "Apartment 543"
- "Fill Me In" (Artful Dodger's Bootleg mix)
- "Fill Me In" (video)
UK CD: 2
- "Fill Me In" (radio edit)
- "Fill Me In" (Artful Dodger remix)
- "Fill Me In" (Sunship remix)
- "Fill Me In" (Full Crew remix)
There are different versions of the music video released in the UK and in the US. The UK music video, directed by Max & Dania, has David telling a story about how he tried many times to romance his girlfriend who lived next door to him but each of his attempts to be alone with his girlfriend failed as his girlfriend's parents always interrupted and he had to hide before they left again. According to an interview on his first Greatest Hits album, the girl in the UK music video is a South African woman whose identity has never been known. The US version, directed by Darren Grant, has a different picturisation and this time Craig's girlfriend is mixed race.
|United Kingdom||3 April 2000|
|United States||May 2001|
The single reached number one on the UK Singles Chart, spending fifteen weeks inside the top 75. It was also David's first top twenty single in the U.S., peaking at number 15. On 28 December 2009, when BBC Radio 1 presenter Nihal revealed "The Official Top 100 Songs of the Decade", "Fill Me In" was at number 93.
After his success with Artful Dodger, Craig's first solo hit debuted at no.1 in the UK top 40 in the week of 15 April 2000. "Fill Me In" topped the charts in an unusual week: all top 6 positions in the top 10 were new entries, including hits by Sweet Female Attitude ("Flowers"), Richard Ashcroft and Steps. After one week at the top, Craig dropped to no.2 for two weeks, replaced at no.1 by "Toca's Miracle" by Fragma. Nevertheless, "Fill Me In" managed to clock an impressive 10 weeks inside the top 40, being the chart's longest-running hit at the time it departed on 24 June.
The single had a delayed release in the US until late Spring 2001. On 30 June - almost a year after it left the UK top 40 - "Fill Me In" entered the Billboard Hot 100 top 40 at no.28. The song climbed easily into the top 20 the following week, remaining there until October, peaking at no.15 on 1 September. After a brief dip, the song revived for another two weeks at no.15 in late October. In total, Craig managed 23 weeks inside the US top 40 before finally bowing out on 8 December.
Charts and certificationsEdit
- Radio 1 Official Chart of the Decade, as broadcast on BBC Radio 1 on 29 December 2009, presented by DJ Nihal
- McAleer, David (2009). The Virgin Book of Top 40 Charts. UK: Virgin Books. pp. 798–802. ISBN 978-0-7535-2200-4.
- [Billboard Hot 100 2001-06-30 "Week of 06/30/2001"] Check
|url=value (help). Billboard.com.
- "Australian-charts.com – Craig David – Fill Me In". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Craig David – Fill Me In" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Craig David – Fill Me In" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Craig David | Awards Allmusic.com
- "Lescharts.com – Craig David – Fill Me In" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Craig David – Fill Me In". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "Chart Track: Week 18, 2000". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 29, 2000" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40 Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Craig David – Fill Me In" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- "Charts.nz – Craig David – Fill Me In". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Craig David – Fill Me In". VG-lista.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Craig David – Fill Me In". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Craig David – Fill Me In". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Official Independent Singles Chart Top 50". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- "Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- "Craig David Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Craig David Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2001 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "British single certifications – Craig David – Fill Me In". British Phonographic Industry. Select singles in the Format field. Select Platinum in the Certification field. Type Fill Me In in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.