Fikile April Mbalula (born 8 April 1971 in the Free State) is a South African politician who is currently serving as Minister of Transport. He previously served as both Minister and Deputy Minister of Police and Minister of Sports and Recreation. Mbalula is a member of the National Executive Committee of the African National Congress and former leader of the African National Congress Youth League. He is ethnically a Mpondomise, his clan name is Jola.
|Minister of Transport|
|Assumed office |
30 May 2019
|Preceded by||Blade Nzimande|
|Minister of Police|
31 March 2017 – 26 February 2018
|Preceded by||Nkosinathi Nhleko|
|Succeeded by||Bheki Cele|
|Minister of Sport and Recreation|
1 November 2010 – 31 March 2017
|Preceded by||Makhenkesi Stofile|
|Succeeded by||Thembelani Nxesi|
|Born||8 April 1971|
Botshabelo, Free State
|Political party||African National Congress|
Mbalula was appointed Deputy Minister of Police in the cabinet of Jacob Zuma in May 2009 and later became the Minister of Sport and Recreation after President Jacob Zuma changed his cabinet. On 31 March 2017, following a controversial reshuffling in the cabinet, Mbalula was appointed as Minister of Police taking over from Nathi Nhleko after lobbying from the ANC Youth League and possibly as a reward for loyalty towards Zuma, according to media speculation.
Mbalula was elected to the ANC NEC at the party's Polokwane conference in December 2007 in 15th place, measured in the number of votes. He subsequently retired as president of the ANC Youth League of which, at age 36, he was no longer eligible to be a member.
Mbalula was elected president of the ANC Youth League in August 2004, having previously held the post of secretary general.
Mbalula has been credited with installing South African President Thabo Mbeki in that position, and for later deposing him as head of the ANC. His support has also been described as key in gaining Zuma the ANC presidency in a hard-fought race with Mbeki.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-08-04. Retrieved 2012-11-12.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Sowetan Live (2008). "Mbalula goes to the mountain". Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- New Cabinet – full appointments Archived May 12, 2009, at the Wayback Machine News24
- ANCYL wants its cadres in top posts[permanent dead link] Sowetan
- Speculation about Zuma's cabinet News24
- Zuma's Cabinet: Who's in? News24
- Slick party machinery wins the day Business Day
- Meet Jacob Zuma's A-team IOL
- ANCYL president to retire at 36 News24
- ANC Youth League calls on members to put country first SABC
- Zuma's NWC vs Mbeki's cabinet Independent Online
- Zuma backers urge new direction News.com.au
- Malema elected as new ANCYL leader Mail & Guardian
- New Minister of Transport: What should Fikile Mbalula focus on to improve road safety?. Retrieved on 11 June 2019.