Figging is the practice of inserting a piece of skinned ginger root into the human anus or the vagina in order to generate an acute burning sensation. Historically this was a method of punishment, but has since been adopted as a practice of BDSM. The term "figging" comes from the 19th-century word "feaguing."
This method of physical punishment was first used as a form of discipline on female slaves in Ancient Greece.[irrelevant citation] The detainee was restrained to varying degrees in order to restrict mobility while the sensation grew from uncomfortable to extreme.
The ginger, which is skinned and often carved into the shape of a butt plug, causes an intense burning sensation, and often intolerable discomfort to the subject. The effect reaches climax within two to five minutes after insertion, and persists for around thirty minutes before gradually easing. The ginger, after use, can be further skinned, and used to extend the experience; each fresh application of ginger root refreshes the duration of the sensations in the subject.
- Lady Green (1998). Kinkycrafts: 99 Do-It-Yourself S/M Toys for the Kinky Handyperson. 206 pages
- "Feague (Grose 1811 Dictionary)". www.fromoldbooks.org.
- Torture and Democracy by Darius Rejali. p. 213f.
- Taormino, Tristan (2006). The Ultimate Guide to Anal Sex for Women. Simon and Schuster. p. 29. ISBN 978-1-57344-522-1.
- www.studio-arcades.com: . 10. June 2013
- Mistress Matisse (June 27, 2006). "What Does This Mean?". The Stranger. Retrieved February 24, 2012.