The newspaper was first published in 1871. It was called the Fife Free Press, & Kirkcaldy Guardian until 1892 when the name was changed to the Fife Free Press. In November 2010, the format of the paper was changed from broadsheet, which had been the format since its first publication, to tabloid. In 2013 it had an average circulation of 11,510.
- "contact us - Fife Today". www.fifetoday.co.uk. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Fife Free Press". www.britishpapers.co.uk. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Fife Free Press, & Kirkcaldy Guardian in British Newspaper Archive". Retrieved 26 February 2017 – via British Newspaper Archive.
- "Data" (PDF). abc.org.uk.
- Fife Today
- Fife Free Press at 150: Kirkcaldy's penny paper which became an institution
- Fife Free Press 150: Back pages are a record of sporting success
- Farewell to Kirk Wynd: New era as Fife Free Press moves to new home
- Fife Free Press: 150 years at the heart of its community
- Fife Free Press foundations:: Responsible leadership and staff loyalty