Fier County is a county located in southwestern Albania. The Fier County borders the Tirana County in the north, Elbasan County in the northeast, Berat County in the east, Gjirokastër County in the southeast, Vlorë County in the south and the Adriatic Sea in the west.
Fier from the air
|Subdivisions||6 municipalities, 275 towns and villages|
|• Council chairman||Vangjel Ndreka|
|• Total||1,890 km2 (730 sq mi)|
|• Density||170/km2 (430/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Until 2000, Fier County was subdivided into three districts: Fier, Lushnjë, and Mallakastër. Since the 2015 local government reform, the county consists of the following 6 municipalities: Divjakë, Fier, Lushnjë, Mallakastër, Patos and Roskovec. Before 2015, it consisted of the following 42 municipalities:
- Qendër, Fier
- Qendër Dukas
The municipalities consist of about 275 towns and villages in total. See Villages of Fier County for a structured list.
According to the last national census from 2011 this county has 310,331 inhabitants. Ethnic groups in the county include:
- Albanians = 241,163 (77.71%)
- Greeks = 332 (0.11%)
- Macedonians = 18 (0.01%)
- Montenegrins = 5 (0.00%)
- Aromanians = 1,553 (0.50%)
- Romani = 1,640 (0,53%)
- Egyptians = 75 (0,02%)
- others = 171 (0.06%)
- no answer = 65,374 (21.07%)
Islam is by far the largest religion in the county, forming 48.52% of the total population (150,559 people). There are also some Bektashi Muslims with 1.01% (3,137 people), 7.15% percent consisting of believers without a denomination (22,186 people) and Christians forming 15.91% of the county's population (Orthodox (13.76%) (42,993 people), Evangelists (0.11% (331 people) (and Roman Catholics) (1.98%) (6,149 people).
- "Popullsia e Shqipërisë" (PDF). instat.gov.al (in Albanian). 19 February 2016. Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 April 2016. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Law nr. 115/2014" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-24. Retrieved 2015-06-03.
- "2011 census results" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-05-25.