|Born||9 March 1970|
Ghasreshirin, Kermanshah, Iran
|Occupation||Head of the Paleolithic Department, and Deputy for Cultural Affairs|
|Employer||National Museum of Iran|
Fereidoun Biglari is co-founder and head of the Paleolithic department in National Museum of Iran which established in 2001. He is serving as member of research council of Iranian Center for Archaeological Research (ICAR). He also editor in chief of "Journal of Iranian Archaeology" since its establishment in 2010. The journal is a scholarly journal about ancient Iran and neighboring regions. Since 1993, he have been directing archaeological field projects in various parts of Iran. His field of research covers Lower Paleolithic of Iran and western Asia and Middle Paleolithic of Iran in general and Zagros region (Iran and Iraq) in particular.
He is co-director of a joint archaeological project in collaboration with the laboratory “PACEA” Prehistory and Quaternary Geology Institute (CNRS-University of Bordeaux 1), Bordeaux, France in the Central Zagros and Isfahan regions. He was awarded a doctoral fellowship in 2007, and currently is a PhD candidate at University of Bordeaux 1. He established the Zagros Paleolithic Museum in Kermanshah in collaboration with Kermanshah provincial office of Iranian Cultural Heritage Organization in 2008. The Museum is the first established museum in Iran that devoted to Paleolithic period of Iran.
He has been continuously involved in the research, surveys and excavations of Paleolithic sites in Iran which resulted in many discoveries in both Zagros and the Iranian Central Plateau. His most recent project was Darian Dam Archaeological Salvage Program, planned by Iranian Center for Archaeological Research before flooding the Darian Dam reservoir in the Hawrāmān region of Kurdistan and Kermanshah, Iran. Under his direction, four teams excavated 16 archaeological sites, of which four date back to Middle Paleolithic, Upper Paleolithic and Epipaleolithic periods.
- Otte,M., F. Biglari, and J. Jaubert (eds),2009, Iran Palaeolithic, Proceedings of the XV World Congress UISPP, Lisbonne, Vol. 28, BAR International Series 1968.
- The Pleistocene Archaeology of Iran, Iraq and the Caucasus, Edited by Fereidoun Biglari, Sonia Shidrang, and Marjan Mashkour, National Museum of Iran,2018, Tehran.
- Evidence for Two Hundred Thousand Years of Human-Animal Bond in the Land of Iran, edited by Fereidoun Biglari and Kamyar Abdi, Published in conjunction with the exhibition “Evidence for Two Hundred Thousand Years of Human-Animal Bond in the Land of Iran”, National Museum of Iran, August-September 2014, Tehran
- Trinkaus, E and F. Biglari,2006, Middle Paleolithic Human Remains from Bisitun Cave, Iran, Paleorient: 32.2: 105-1
- Biglari, F. and Shidrang, S.,2006, The Lower Paleolithic Occupation of Iran, Near Eastern Archaeology 69(3–4): 160-168
- Biglari, F.,2007,The Lower and Middle Paleolithic Occupations of Iran: A Brief Review, In Iran, Fragments from Paradise, pp. 31–39, Instituto Nacional de Antropologia e Historia, Mexico City
- Otte, M., F. Biglari, D. Flas, S. Shidrang, N. Zwyns, M. Mashkour, R. Naderi, A. Mohaseb N. Hashemi, J. Darvish, & V. Radu, 2007, The Aurignacian in the Zagros region: new research at Yafteh Cave, Lorestan, Iran, Antiquity 81:82-96
- Biglari F, M. Javeri, M. Mashkour, Y. Yazdi, S. Shidrang, M. Tengberg, and K. Taheri and J. Darvish,2009,Test excavations at the Middle Paleolithic sites of Qaleh Bozi, Southwest of Central Iran, A preliminary report, In: M. Otte, F. Biglari, and J. Jaubert (eds), Iran Palaeolithic. pp. 29–38, Proceedings of the XV World Congress UISPP, Lisbonne, Vol. 28, BAR International Series 1968.
- Biglari, F. and V. Jahani, 2011, The Pleistocene Human Settlement in Gilan, Southwest Caspian Sea: Recent Research, Eurasian Prehistory, 8 (1–2): 3–28.
- Biglari, F. 2012,The Development of the Paleolithic Archaeology in Iran; a Review, in Eighty years of Iranian Archaeology, Edited by Yousef Hassanzadeh, Pp. 7-48, Pazineh Publication, National Museum of Iran and Iranian Center for Archaeological Research, Tehran
- Biglari, F., and S. Shidrang 2016, New Evidence of Paleolithic Occupation in the Western Zagros foothills, in The Archaeology of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq and Adjacent Regions, Edited by Konstantinos Kopanias and John MacGinnis, pp. 29-38, Archaeopress.