Feels Like Home (Norah Jones album)
Feels Like Home is the second studio album by American singer-songwriter Norah Jones, released on February 10, 2004, through Blue Note Records. It serves as the follow up to Jones' 2002 breakthrough album, Come Away with Me.
|Feels Like Home|
|Studio album by Norah Jones|
|Released||February 10, 2004|
|Producer||Norah Jones, Arif Mardin|
|Norah Jones chronology|
|Singles from Feels Like Home|
At the 47th Annual Grammy Awards the album was nominated for Best Pop Vocal Album. "Sunrise", the album's lead single, won the Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. "Creepin' In", featuring Dolly Parton, was also nominated for a Grammy, in the category of Best Country Collaboration with Vocals.
|Los Angeles Times|||
|New York Times||(mixed)|
|Yahoo! Music UK|||
Feels Like Home received generally positive reviews from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album has an average score of 74 out of 100, which indicates "generally favorable reviews" based on 19 reviews.
Yahoo! Music gave the album a favorable review and said, "Recalling Come Away With Me only for Jones’s sultry voice, the album has its share of pleasant throwaways, but those are balanced by a handful of starkly beautiful and excellently arranged songs." The A.V. Club also gave it a favorable review and stated that the album "should neither shock old fans nor disappoint those hoping to hear [Jones] reach for more." E! Online gave it a B+ and said, "Instead of making any stupid concessions to her sudden celebrity... the Home girl plays it cool, carrying on with the same smooth vibes that made her a star." Spin also gave it a B+, calling it "A better record than Come Away--less piano bar, more honkey-tonk." Mojo gave it four stars out of five and said the album was "similar to the debut.... But there's a more vivid light-and-shade to the textures and a craft and depth to the compositions that represent a welcome distillation of Jones' art." The Village Voice gave the album a positive review and stated, "If the choice of songs and beat and instrumentation were sometimes restrictive, still the piano and the voice endured." Blender gave it three-and-a-half stars out of five and said that its mood was "more or less the same, if slight friskier."
Other reviews are average, mixed or negative: Uncut gave the album three stars out of five and stated that, "Yes, it's an unchallenging and even deeply conservative record. But its class is positively aristocratic." The Austin Chronicle gave it two stars out of five and said, "Material is everything to a chanteuse, and in contrast to Come Away With Me, the problem here is that Jones wrote/co-wrote almost half of the Home's 13 tracks. The Guardian only gave it one star out of five and said that the album was "so inoffensive you have trouble remembering whether you put it on."
|1.||"Sunrise"||Norah Jones, Lee Alexander||3:20|
|2.||"What Am I to You?"||Jones||3:29|
|3.||"Those Sweet Words"||Alexander, Richard Julian||3:22|
|4.||"Carnival Town"||Jones, Alexander||3:12|
|5.||"In the Morning"||Adam Levy||4:07|
|6.||"Be Here to Love Me"||Townes Van Zandt||3:28|
|7.||"Creepin' In" (featuring Dolly Parton)||Alexander||3:03|
|9.||"Humble Me"||Kevin Breit||4:36|
|10.||"Above Ground"||Andrew Borger, Daru Oda||3:43|
|11.||"The Long Way Home"||Kathleen Brennan, Tom Waits||3:13|
|12.||"The Prettiest Thing"||Jones, Alexander, Julian||3:51|
|13.||"Don't Miss You at All"||Jones, Duke Ellington||3:06|
Deluxe Edition (CD and DVD)Edit
- "Sleepless Nights" (Deluxe Edition bonus disc)
- "Moon Song" (Deluxe Edition bonus disc)
- "I Turned Your Picture to the Wall" (Deluxe Edition bonus disc)
- "In the Morning" (live) (DVD)
- "She" (live) (DVD)
- "Long Way Home" (live) (DVD)
- "Creepin' In" (live) (DVD)
- "Sunrise" (music video) (DVD)
- "What Am I to You?" (music video) (DVD)
- Interview with Norah (DVD)
Feels Like Home sold 1,022,000 copies in its first week of release in the U.S. It sold 395,000 copies in its second week and spent its first six weeks of release atop the Billboard 200. It was the second best-selling album of 2004 in the U.S., selling 3,842,920 copies. It stands as the seventh largest first-week sales for a woman, behind Adele's 25, Britney Spears' Oops...! I Did It Again, Taylor Swift's 1989, Red and Speak Now, and Lady Gaga's Born This Way. In the Netherlands, it was the year's best-selling album and the twenty-fourth best-selling album of the 2000s. Worldwide, this album has shipped over 12 million copies.
End of decade chartsEdit
|US Billboard 200||58|
|Australia (ARIA)||3× Platinum||210,000^|
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||3× Platinum||90,000*|
|Belgium (BEA)||2× Platinum||100,000*|
|Brazil (Pro-Música Brasil)||Gold||50,000*|
|Canada (Music Canada)||4× Platinum||400,000^|
|Denmark (IFPI Denmark)||Gold||20,000^|
|France (SNEP)||2× Platinum||802,000*|
|Germany (BVMI)||3× Platinum||600,000^|
|Greece (IFPI Greece)||Gold||10,000^|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||3× Platinum||45,000^|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||3× Platinum||120,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||3× Platinum||993,632 (in 2004)^|
|United States (RIAA)||4× Platinum||4,632,000^|
|Europe (IFPI)||4× Platinum||4,000,000*|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Reviews for Feels Like Home by Norah Jones". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- Matt Collar. "Feels Like Home – Norah Jones". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- "Feels Like Home - EW.com". Entertainment Weekly's EW.com.
- "She's sneaking up on us again". latimes.
- New York Times review
- "Norah Jones". PopMatters.
- "Norah Jones - Feels Like Home CD". cduniverse.com.
- "Robert Christgau: CG: norah jones". robertchristgau.com.
- "Rolling Stone review". Archived from the original on 2007-10-13. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- "USATODAY.com - Jones' 'Feels Like Home' also sounds like home: Familiar". usatoday.com.
- "LAUNCH, Music on Yahoo! - Norah Jones - Feels Like Home". yahoo.com. Archived from the original on 11 March 2004.
- "Yahoo! LAUNCH - Album Review: Feels Like Home". yahoo.com. Archived from the original on 2004-03-13.
- "Review: Norah Jones: Feels Like Home · Music Review · The A.V. Club". avclub.com.
- Tom Smucker. "The Review of Norah". Village Voice.
- "Norah Jones - Feels Like Home". Uncut: 99. March 2004. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- "Review: Norah Jones - Music - The Austin Chronicle". austinchronicle.com.
- Alexis Petridis. "CD: Norah Jones, Feels Like Home". the Guardian.
- BMI Repertoire Search for Norah Jones[permanent dead link]
- Caulfield, Keith (November 3, 2010). "Taylor Swift Sells Over 1 Million in Record Billboard 200 Debut". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- "Norah Still Tops On Billboard 200". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. February 25, 2004. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- Trust, Gary (January 7, 2010). "Chart Beat Thursday: Avett Brothers, Susan Boyle, Lil Wayne". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- "Confessions is the top-selling album of 2004, a year in which album sales increased.". Tampa Bay Times. Times Publishing Company. January 7, 2005. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- "Norah Jones". Dailymail. 2007-01-26. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
- "Norah Jones - Feels Like Home". ultratop.be. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "Norah Jones - Feels Like Home". acharts.us.
- "Norah Jones - Feels Like Home". ifpi.gr. Archived from the original on 2004-06-18. Retrieved 2014-01-04.
- "フィールズ・ライク・ホーム". ORICON STYLE.
- Davidalic. "LISTAS DE AFYVE". afyvecharts.blogspot.co.nz.
- "Charts". Billboard.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2004 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Austrian album certifications – Norah Jones – Feels Like Home" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter Norah Jones in the field Interpret. Enter Feels Like Home in the field Titel. Select album in the field Format. Click Suchen
- "Ultratop − Goud en Platina – 2004". Ultratop. Hung Medien.
- "Brazilian album certifications – Norah Jones – Feels Like Home" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos.
- "Canadian album certifications – Norah Jones – Feels Like Home". Music Canada.
- "Danish album certifications – Norah Jones – Feels Like Home". IFPI Denmark. Click on næste to go to page if certification from official website
- "Norah Jones" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Musiikkituottajat - Tilastot - Kulta- ja platinalevyt". ifpi.fi.
- "French album certifications – Norah Jones – Feels Like Home" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "Charts français". free.fr.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Norah Jones; 'Feels Like Home')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Top 50 Ξένων Aλμπουμ". IFPI Greece. Archived from the original on May 15, 2006. Retrieved December 23, 2016.
- "Japanese album certifications – Norah Jones – Feels Like Home" (in Japanese). Recording Industry Association of Japan.
- "Certificaciones – Norah Jones" (in Spanish). Asociación Mexicana de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas.
- "Dutch album certifications – Norah Jones – Feels Like Home" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Vereniging van Producenten en Importeurs van beeld- en geluidsdragers.
- "New Zealand album certifications – Norah Jones – Feels Like Home". Recorded Music NZ.
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 2005" (PDF) (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Norah Jones; 'Feels Like Home')". IFPI Switzerland. Hung Medien.
- "British album certifications – Norah Jones – Feels Like Home". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Feels Like Home in the search field and then press Enter.
- Chartwatch Annual Chart Booklets->Year 2004 Retrieved 28 June 2012.
- "American album certifications – Norah Jones – Feels Like Home". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- "Chart Watch Extra: Following Up A Monster". yahoo.com. 16 May 2012.
- "IFPI Platinum Europe Awards – 2010". International Federation of the Phonographic Industry.