Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development is a ministry of the Nigerian government that regulates agricultural research, agriculture and natural resources, forestry and veterinary research throughout Nigeria. Sabo Nanono is the current Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development. He was appointed to head the ministry by president Muhammadu Buhari in August 2019.
In April 2010 when Goodluck Jonathan appointed Sheikh Ahmed Abdullah the Ministry of Water Resources became separate from the Ministry of Agriculture. The ministry was previously headed by Adamu Bello, Abba Sayyadi Ruma and Sheikh Ahmed Abdullah.
Akinwumi Adesina was appointed Federal Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development by President Goodluck Jonathan in June 2011. He was succeeded by Audu Innocent Ogbeh who was appointed by President Muhammadu Buhari in 2015. Audu was not retained by President Buhari for his second term and was replaced by Sabo Nanono in 2019. Dr. Mu'azu Abdulkadir is the current permanent secretary for the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.
The ministry is responsible for various roles involving national goals of rural development, food security, rural income growth and job creation. The ministry fulfils its responsibilities through its departments and parastatals. It also supervises and provides funding for research institutes such as the National Root Crops Research Institute and colleges of agriculture and forestry.
- "Ministry of Agriculture & Water Resources". AfDevInfo. Retrieved 27 March 2010.
- "https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/347879-nanono-takes-charge-at-nigerias-agriculture-ministry.html". 21 August 2019. External link in
- George Oji (7 April 2010). "Jonathan Takes Over Ministry of Power". ThisDay. Retrieved 27 February 2011.
- "Welcome". Abba Sayyadi Ruma. Archived from the original on 26 March 2010. Retrieved 15 December 2009.
- "Buhari finally names a new Nigerian government cabinet—but it's not that new". QuartzAfrica. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- "Ex-Ministers Dropped By Buhari". Sahara Reporters. Retrieved 26 August 2019.
- Ibukun Odusote Archived 2 February 2016 at the Wayback Machine, Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Retrieved 23 January 2016
- "Welcome". Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development. Retrieved 26 August 2019.