"Fat" is a song by "Weird Al" Yankovic. It is a parody of "Bad" by Michael Jackson. It is Yankovic's second parody of a Jackson song, the first being "Eat It", a parody of Jackson's "Beat It". "Fat" is the first song on Yankovic's Even Worse album.
|Single by "Weird Al" Yankovic|
|from the album Even Worse|
|B-side||"You Make Me"|
|Released||April 12, 1988|
|Format||7" vinyl, 12" vinyl, 3" CD|
|Recorded||February 18, 1988|
"Weird Al" Yankovic
|"Weird Al" Yankovic singles chronology|
|Even Worse track listing|
Yankovic came up with the idea for "Fat" while watching the "Bad" music video, when he had an epiphany that a parody of that song titled Fat would be a good sequel to "Eat It" (a previous Weird Al Michael Jackson parody). As he watched the "Bad" video, he imagined an obese version of himself trying to get through the turnstiles on a subway, and resolved that he would do it.
When performing in concert, Yankovic wears a costume that makes his body appear pudgy, along with a mask that makes his face look fat. Due to undergoing laser vision correction surgery, he no longer needs to wear glasses, though he wears glasses with non-prescription plastic lenses in order to help hold on the mask.
- "Fat" – 3:36
- "You Make Me" – 3:04
Directed by Jay Levey, the video for "Fat" parodies various elements of the "Bad" video by Jackson; Yankovic was able to get permission from Michael Jackson to use the same subway set from "Bad" for the video, which had yet to be struck in Culver City. Jackson had built an exact replica of the original set for the movie Moonwalker to be used in the segment called "Badder", and before striking it, he offered to allow Yankovic to use it.
The fat suit Yankovic wore was done with practical effects and makeup. This included having latex bladders glued to his face along with similar air pockets through his clothes. When he was inflated on the video, several crew members were blowing into tubes that ran into these bladders and pockets to simulate the effect.
- "GRAMMY Winners Search". grammy.com. Archived from the original on 2008-12-24. Retrieved 2008-01-13. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "The History Behind 12 Great Weird Al Videos". 15 July 2014.
- "Ask Al, January 2000". weirdal.com. Archived from the original on 2010-06-24. Retrieved 2010-04-30. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "mvdbase.com - 'Weird Al' Yankovic - "Fat"". www.mvdbase.com.
- Suskind, Alex (July 15, 2014). "The History Behind 12 Great Weird Al Videos". Vulture. Retrieved July 24, 2019.
- Yankovic, "Weird Al" (2011-06-09). "Michael Jackson Remembered: "Weird Al" Yankovic on Imitation as Flattery". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2009-07-10.
- "The Official New Zealand Music Chart". THE OFFICIAL NZ MUSIC CHART.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-02-04. Retrieved 2009-02-14. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help)CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Weird Al" Yankovic - Fat - Official music video on YouTube