Fastest recorded tennis serves
This article lists the fastest recorded tennis serves in the men's and women's games. This list may not be historically complete. For instance, there are reports that Bill Tilden had a serve that was clocked at 163.3 mph but there is nothing to verify that.
The Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) does not formally recognize service speed records made in Challenger tour events due to lack of uniformity in these tournaments' radar guns (including availability or lack thereof). Nevertheless, the serve speed of 263.4 km/h (163.7 mph) recorded by Australian Sam Groth at an ATP Challenger event in Busan, South Korea in May 2012 was measured using approved equipment according to the ATP, and other data gathered appeared within a normal range. However, John Isner holds the ATP's official record for the fastest serve at 253 km/h (157.2 mph).
- Men's serves must be recorded at or over 230 km/h (143 mph) minimum standard speed.
- Women's serves must be recorded at or over 200 km/h (124 mph) minimum standard speed.
- Only one serve per player is recorded here. For example, Andy Roddick has many 230 km/h (143 mph) or faster serves on his record but only his personal best of 249 km/h (155 mph) is included.
- In cases where more than one serve has been recorded at the same speed, the oldest recorded serve is listed first.
Not recognized by ATP
Not formally recognized by ATP and/or unsourced
The WTA does not recognize nor keep tabs of speed records set outside the main draw portion of WTA Tour tournaments. Therefore records that have been achieved during qualifications to main draws, ITF tour events, Fed Cup ties, Olympics tennis and other tournaments are not part of their list (but are included here).
|1||Georgina Garcia Pérez||220 km/h (140 mph)||2018 Hungarian Ladies Open|
|2||Sabine Lisicki||210.8 km/h (131.0 mph)||2014 Stanford Classic|
|3||Venus Williams||207.6 km/h (129.0 mph)||2007 US Open|
|4||Ivana Jorović||207 km/h (129 mph)||2017 Fed Cup|
|5||Serena Williams||206.4 km/h (128.3 mph)||2013 Australian Open|
|6||Julia Görges||203.0 km/h (126.1 mph)||2012 French Open|
|Caroline Garcia||2016 Fed Cup|
|8||Brenda Schultz-McCarthy||202.7 km/h (126.0 mph)||2007 Indian Wells Masters|
|9||Nadiya Kichenok||202.0 km/h (125.5 mph)||2014 Australian Open|
|10||Naomi Osaka||201.2 km/h (125.0 mph)||2016 US Open|
|Lucie Hradecká||2015 Wimbledon|
|12||Anna-Lena Grönefeld||201.1 km/h (125.0 mph)||2009 Indian Wells Masters|
|13||Ana Ivanovic||201.0 km/h (124.9 mph)||2007 French Open|
|Denisa Allertová||2015 Australian Open|
|14||Kristina Mladenovic||200.0 km/h (124.3 mph)||2009 French Open|
- "IDS[clarification needed] only collects serve speed data on show courts at certain events (11 in 2014) and started doing so in 1989 ... Players who have had multiple Top 10 fastest serves only have their top one listed, and if they hit that top speed multiple times, just the first time they did it is listed." http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/1978722/title/ids-serve-speed-leaders
- "Aussie Groth Hits Speedy Serves". Association of Tennis Professionals Staff. 2012-12-05.
- "IDS Serve Speed Leaders". Pro Tennis Internet Network. 2011-06-30.
- "Andy Roddick's Serve". Retrieved 5 June 2012.
- "Fastest serve of a tennis ball (male)". Guinness World Records. Retrieved 27 Jan 2017.
- "Aussie smashes tennis serve speed record". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved May 13, 2012.
- "Groth and Olivetti Top Guns of Fast Serve". Orange Deuce. August 11, 2012.
- "Davis Cup 2016: John Isner breaks serve speed record with 253km/h bomb". Fox Sports. 2016-03-06. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- "Ivo Karlovic sets world serve record". ESPN. March 6, 2011.
- "The final in figures". Fédération Française de Tennis. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- "The record service speed of 251km/hour in the Challenger in Szczecin". Official Website of Jerzy Janowicz. August 1, 2013.
- "Rogers Cup tennis: Milos Raonic delivers substance and style: Cox". Toronto Star. August 7, 2012. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "2011 ATP World Tour Media Guide". Association of Tennis Professionals. p. 205. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- Botero B., Andrés (15 July 2014). "El saque más veloz del tenis estará en el ATP 250 de Bogotá". eltiempo.com (in Spanish).
- López, Feliciano (9 June 2014). "We will continue playing 2morrow at 12 noon.So happy to hit my fastest bullet today 152mph!!!!". @feliciano_lopez. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- "Nu-i joacă de Copil! Arădeanul este în semifinale, la Budapesta. Am aflat de ce evoluează senzațional! | Alte sporturi, Alte sporturi, Sport, Tenis, Tenis | Libertatea.ro". Libertatea.ro (in Romanian). 2016-10-28. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- SamTennisVids (2017-10-22), Grigor Dimitrov Vs Juan Martin del Potro - Stockholm 2017 Final (Highlights HD), retrieved 2017-12-19
- "Hingis wins title; Rusedski hits 149 mph". Houston Chronicle. March 15, 1998. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Tsonga credits leg work to increased serve speed". theScore.com. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- "GENSSE vs BERANKIS". Open d'Orléans. October 21, 2011.
- Dan Rascanu (2014-12-20), Davis Cup 2014 Federer / Wawrinka vs Benneteau / Gasquet, retrieved 2017-12-19
- "IDS Serve Speed Leaders". WTA. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- AS, Diario (2018-02-19). "Georgina García, al cuadro final con un saque de ¡220 km/h!". AS.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 2018-02-23.
- "Lisicki hits fastest serve ever". WTA. July 29, 2014.
- "Australian Open 2015 tournament statistics: Cornet vs. Allertova". ausopen.com. January 22, 2015.