The Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (FIDM) is a private for-profit college with multiple campuses in California. It offers degree programs in majors including fashion, entertainment, beauty, interior design, and graphic design. The college was founded in 1969 by Tonian Hohberg, the institute's president and CEO.
|Type||Private for-profit college|
The college offers 26 associate of arts degree programs; a Bachelor of Science degree in business management, which is also available via distance learning; and nine Bachelor of Arts degree programs. The college also offers a master in business administration degree.
The college is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission. Due to a commission review finding problems in sustainability and faculty oversight in 2019, status has changed from "Accredited" to "Accredited with Notice of Concern". It is also an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).
FIDM's main campus in Los Angeles features innovative study spaces, a design studio, and the FIDM Museum and Galleries. The San Francisco campus is located in Union Square. The award-winning Orange County campus is a visual experience with lofts, an indoor/outdoor student lounge, bright colors, and a unique audiovisual igloo. Students can take their first year of classes at the Orange County and San Francisco campuses, but have to transfer to the Los Angeles campus for their second year.
In popular cultureEdit
FIDM served as the location of Lifetime's Project Runway season six, Project Runway: Under the Gunn, Project Runway: Threads, and Project Runway: Junior. Several FIDM alumni, including Santino Rice, Daniel Franco, Guadalupe Vidal, Kelli Martin, and Leann Marshall, were contestants on the original Project Runway show. FIDM was also featured in the MTV show The Hills, which shows the life of upcoming fashion designer, Lauren Conrad, who comes from Laguna Beach and wants to become famous for her designs.
The Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising Museum, located at the Los Angeles Campus, is home to a large collection of fashion and costume pieces from the 1800s to today. The museum features permanent and temporary exhibits, including costumes and designs from early 20th-century Hollywood, theater, and current television shows and films. The FIDM Museum Permanent Collection features more than 15,000 objects representing over 200 years of fashion, spanning haute couture, ready-to-wear, international ensembles, film costumes, and fragrance. Highlights of the collection include the Lilli Ann, Michael Arnaud, Damask Cecil Beaton, Nancy Dinsmore, Rudi Gernreich, Stella Hanania, Helen Larson, Tina Leser, Maurice Levin, and Gianni Versace Menswear archives.
- Rajwa Al Saif, Saudi designer and the fiancée of Hussein, Crown Prince of Jordan
- Marina Toybina, costume designer
- Lubov Azria, fashion designer
- Katie Bender, filmmaker
- Gessica Brooke, fashion and accessories designer
- Amanda Bynes, fashion designer, actress
- Lauren Conrad, author and fashion designer
- Cris Crotz, Miss Nevada 2010
- Candice Cuoco, fashion designer, Project Runway 14 finalist
- Kyra Davis, novelist
- Lil Debbie, rapper, model, and fashion designer
- Nikita Dragun, Beauty YouTuber
- Mario Hollands, pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies
- Sassa Jimenez, fashion designer, Philippines
- Karen Kane, fashion designer
- Lisa Kristine, fine art photographer
- Michael Kuluva, fashion designer, professional figure skater, owner of Tumbler and Tipsy
- Masiela Lusha, Albanian-American actress, poet, and humanitarian
- Leanne Marshall, fashion designer, Project Runway 5 winner
- Thai Nguyen, fashion designer and television personality
- Trish Summerville, costume designer
- Santino Rice, fashion designer, Project Runway 2 finalist
- Yotam Solomon, fashion designer
- Marlene Stewart, costume designer
- Edwin Bodney, poet
- Gottmik, drag performer, make-up artist
Faculty and staffEdit
- President's message Archived 2014-01-16 at the Wayback Machine. Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising.
- "FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising". WASC Senior College and University Commission. Retrieved November 21, 2020.
- "Statement of Accreditation Status FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising". Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior College and University Commission. 2017. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- "Commission action letter, reaffirmation, February 2019 action" (PDF). WASC Senior College and University Commission. Retrieved April 13, 2020.
- Accredited Institutional Members Archived 2014-02-02 at the Wayback Machine. National Association of Schools of Art and Design. Accessed 2014.
- "FIDM San Diego Campus / Clive Wilkinson Architects". ArchDaily. November 18, 2011. Retrieved June 11, 2020.
- "Clive Wilkinson Architects: FIDM, San Diego". clivewilkinson.com. Retrieved June 11, 2020.
- "Clive Wilkinson Architects: FIDM, Orange County". clivewilkinson.com. Retrieved June 11, 2020.
- "Clive Wilkinson Architects: FIDM, Annex Studio, Los Angeles". /clivewilkinson.com. Retrieved June 11, 2020.
- "FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising, San Francisco Campus". Petersons's. Retrieved June 11, 2020.
- Corcoran, Monica (February 1, 2009). "They've got the 'Project Runway' blues". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 21, 2020.
- Nededog, Jethro (November 13, 2013). "'Project Runway's' Tim Gunn to Host New Lifetime Fashion Competition". TheWrap. Retrieved November 21, 2020.
- "About Project Runway: Threads | Lifetime". Lifetime. Retrieved June 2, 2017.
- ""FIDM Alumni "Project Runway" Contestants"". Lifetime. Archived from the original on June 9, 2013. Retrieved November 21, 2020.
- Jane Keltner De Valle (October 15, 2013). "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Lauren Conrad's Career Path". Teen Vogue.
- Yu, Aileen (May 8, 2020). "3 fashion school museums you can visit virtually". fashionunited.uk. Retrieved August 31, 2020.
- "FIDM Museum Special Collections Archives". FIDM Museum Blog. Retrieved August 31, 2020.
- "FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising Museum and Library - Los Angeles CA - Museum - ArtGeek". www.artgeek.io. Retrieved August 31, 2020.
- Neider, Alison A. (May 29, 2014). "FIDM Exhibition Showcases Fashion Sketches From Hollywood's Golden Age". California Apparel News.
- O'Connell, Michael (June 2, 2014). "Emmys: Fox Goes Guerrilla With 'Sleepy Hollow' Campaign". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "The Masked Singer Costume Designer and FIDM Grad Marina Toybina Wins Fifth Emmy". FDMI.edu.
- "Lubov Azria: How to Succeed in the Fashion Industry". theFashionSpot. September 25, 2013.
- Hall, Sandra (February 29, 2016). "The Will to Fly review: inside the elite world of aerial skiing". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved March 6, 2016.
- "Spring Fashions and Hangbags with Gessica Brooke". KTLA. March 1, 2012. Archived from the original on April 1, 2012. Retrieved November 21, 2020.
- "Amanda Bynes thrown out of school". msn.com. Archived from the original on July 22, 2015.
- "Lauren Conrad: Biography". people.com. Retrieved May 19, 2008.
- "About - Kyra Davis". kyradavis.com. Retrieved November 21, 2020.
- Kelsey Whipple. "Lil Debbie Is Ready For Her Private Jet". L.A. Weekly. Archived from the original on January 22, 2014. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- Cordaro, Colleen. Clark, Bonnie (ed.). "Dressed for Success". Phillies. Philadelphia Phillies. 2014 (4): 36–38.
- "SASSA JIMENEZ - Elliza Dawn Aurelio". Archived from the original on February 2, 2014. Retrieved January 28, 2014.
- "Stories - FIDM.edu". fidm.edu.
- May, Meredith (January 4, 2013). "Lisa Kristine Photographs Slavery". sfgate.com. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- "Michael Kuluva/ The Designer". tumblerandtipsy.com.[better source needed]
- "Masiela Lusha of Sharknado 4 Blows My Mind with This Incredible Interview". huffingtonpost.com. November 13, 2016. Retrieved December 27, 2016.
- "Intelligent Design: Project Runway's newest winner, Leanne Marshall, gets down to business". elle.com. January 9, 2009. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- "Grad and Costume Designer Trish Summerville Nominated for Academy Award for Netflix Film Mank | Latest News | FIDM.edu". fidm.edu. Retrieved December 28, 2021.
- "Lifetime TV Shows - myLifetime.com - myLifetime.com". myLifetime.com.
- "Los Angeles designer Yotam Solomon to give fashion advice to Bruins in FAST event". dailybruin.com.
- "New Tom Cruise Film Oblivion's Costume Designer Is Award-Winning Alumna of Fashion School FIDM". Benzinga.
- "Site Map". fidm.com.