Faruk Umar Faruk
Faruk Umar Faruk
|Emir of Daura|
|Assumed office |
28 February 2007
|Preceded by||Muhammadu Bashar dan Umaru|
Umar Faruq dan Umar was born in 1931. He became Emir of Daura, or Sarkin Daura, on 28 February 2007 following the death of Sarkin Muhammadu Bashar dan Umaru. A few months later he volunteered to stand security for former governor of Jigawa State, Saminu Turaki, who had been detained over allegations of corruption and money laundering after leaving office in May 2007. However, Turaki's successor as governor, Sule Lamido, persuaded him to change his mind.
In 2007 Faruk met President Umaru Yar'Adua with the Ooni of Ife Okunade Sijuade, the Emir of Kano Ado Bayero and the Emir of Zazzau Shehu Idris. Yar'Adua assured them that a constitutional role would be found for traditional leaders in Nigeria. In January 2009 Faruk represented the President's family, standing in for the bride during the marriage rites for a daughter of President Yar'Adua who was being married to the Bauchi State Governor Alhaji Isa Yuguda. In December 2007 he was awarded the honor of Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON). In July 2009 the European-American University Commonwealth of Dominica conferred an honorary doctorate award on Faruk for his role in nation building.
In April 2008 he turbaned Mr. Ndudi Elumelu, Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Power and Steel, as the Hasken Daura (Light of Daura). In November 2009 he turbaned the President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Umaru Abdullahi, as Walin Hausa. Normally the Muslim festive period of Id-El-Kabir includes a durbar held simultaneously in Daura and Katsina council areas. In December 2008 the Daura durbar was cancelled since the Emir was performing religious obligations in Saudi Arabia.
In February 2009 Faruk intervened to restore calm after mob violence broke out at Kongolam on the border with Niger in which seven people died. Later he asserted that the smugglers who caused the incident were outsiders, not residents of the border area. In the summer of 2009 the farmers of Katsina state suffered an invasion of quelea bird, which threatened to destroy their crops. Faruk advised them to stay calm and treat the event as an act of god, assuring them they would be given assistance. In February 2010 the Emir pledged thirty million naira of his own money to rebuild three old city gates and the "Kusugu well" monument in the emirate.
In 2010 he was a Director of First Fuel and Gas Limited.
- "Traditional States of Nigeria". World Statesmen. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- Funso Muraina (3 August 2007). "Turaki Accuses Lamido of Frustrating Bail Bid". ThisDay. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- Louis Achi (7 January 2009). "Emir of Borgu Seeks Constitutional Role for Royals". Leadership. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- Danjuma Michael (25 January 2009). "Yar'Adua Concludes Daughter's Marriage to Bauchi Gov". ThisDay. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- Lawal Ibrahim and Hassan A. Karofi (25 January 2009). "Former Heads of State, 19 Govs Storm Katsina for Yuguda's Wedding". Daily Trust. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "List of 2007 National Honours recipients". Online Nigeria Daily News. Sun News. December 29, 2007. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "European-American University To Honour Eminent Nigerians". Online Nigeria Daily News. 9 May 2009. Archived from the original on 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- John Ameh (2008-04-24). "Power probe: N1.1bn projects abandoned in Yar'Adua's state". The Punch. Retrieved 2010-09-15.[permanent dead link]
- Kolade Adeyemi (2/11/2009). "Appeal Court president, Tinubu urge Nigerians not to lose hope". The Nation. Archived from the original on 2009-11-03. Retrieved 2010-09-15. Check date values in:
- Danjuma Michael (15 December 2008). "Katsina - Morning After Sallah Festivity". ThisDay. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- Lawal Ibrahim (1 May 2009). "Katsina - One Mob Killing Too Many". Daily Trust. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- Lawal Ibrahim (10 February 2009). "Katsina Police Begin Investigation Into Customs, Smugglers' Clash". Daily Trust. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- Lawal Sa'idu (29 August 2009). "Wiwi And Quela Birds Invasion - Katsina Communities Face Hunger Threat". Leadership. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- Lawal Ibrahim (2 February 2010). "Daura City Gates, Kusugu Well for Reconstruction". Daily Trust. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS". First Fuel and Gas Limited. Archived from the original on 2011-07-11. Retrieved 2010-09-15.