Fame (Irene Cara song)
"Fame" is a pop song, written by Michael Gore (music) and Dean Pitchford (lyrics) and released in 1980, that achieved chart success as the theme song to the Fame film and TV series. The song was performed by Irene Cara, who played the role of Coco Hernandez in the original movie. It won the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1980, and the Golden Globe Award the same year. In 2004 it finished at number 51 on AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of top tunes in American cinema.
Artwork for Dutch and Belgian releases
|Single by Irene Cara|
|from the album Fame soundtrack|
|B-side||"Never Alone" (performed by the Contemporary Gospel Chorus, The High School of Music and Art)|
|Genre||Pop, post-disco, New-wave|
|Irene Cara singles chronology|
Irene Cara played the role of Coco Hernandez in the movie Fame and sang the vocals for the theme song. The music for the song was by Michael Gore and the lyrics were by Dean Pitchford. The song earned Cara a Grammy nomination for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. The movie became an "overnight sensation". The song won an Oscar for best film theme song in 1981. In July 1982 it was re-released on the back of the successful TV series and topped the British charts. The movie was adapted into a TV series and stage show which toured Europe.
Fame theme songEdit
The song was later used as the theme song for the Fame television series, which aired from 1982 to 1987. It was also used in other TV shows related to Fame.
- Irene Cara – lead vocals, backing vocals
- Rob Mounsey – keyboards, piano
- Leon Pendarvis – keyboards, arrangements
- Kenneth Bichel – synthesizer
- Neil Jason – bass guitar
- Elliott Randall – guitar solo
- David Spinozza, Jeff Mironov – guitar
- Yogi Horton – drums
- Jimmy Maelen, Crusher Bennet – percussion
- Louise Bethune, Peggie Blue, Ivonne Lewis, Ullanda McCullough, Deborah McDuffie, Vicki Sue Robinson, Ann E. Sutton, Luther Vandross – backing vocals
Charts and certificationsEdit
"Fame" rose to number four on the Billboard Hot 100 in August 1980. It also reached number one on the Billboard dance chart for one week. The song was rereleased in the United Kingdom in 1982 following the airing of the Fame television series. It hit number one in the UK Singles Chart for three weeks. It has over sold 1.07 million copies in the UK as of September 2017[update]. The song also reached number one in Flanders, Ireland, the Netherlands and New Zealand, and number three in Australia and Sweden.
Weekly singles chartsEdit
- Remember (Fame) - the Japanese-language cover by pop duo Pink Lady
- List of Dutch Top 40 number-one singles of 1983
- List of million-selling singles in the United Kingdom
- List of number-one dance singles of 1980 (U.S.)
- List of UK Singles Chart number ones of the 1980s
- List of number-one singles in 1982 (New Zealand)
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 136. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Irene Cara's GRAMMY Awards history". Grammy.com; Recording Academy.
- Davis, Sharon (January 6, 2012). 80s Chart-Toppers: Every Chart-Topper Tells a Story. Random House. ISBN 978-1-78057-411-0. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- 'Fame' means success for BBC record label. Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. November 13, 1982. pp. 8–. ISSN 0006-2510.
- http://www.infodisc.fr/Ventes_Chansons_Tout_Temps.php. Missing or empty
|title=(help) Cite error: The named reference "OCC" was defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, New South Wales: Australian Chart Book. p. 55. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Ultratop.be – Irene Cara – Fame" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "RPM 100 Singles". RPM. Vol. 34 no. 4. November 22, 1980. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- "Lescharts.com – Irene Cara – Fame" (in French). Les classement single.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Fame". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 8, 1983" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Irene Cara – Fame" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.nz – Irene Cara – Fame". Top 40 Singles.
- "SA Charts 1965–March 1989". Retrieved September 1, 2018.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Irene Cara – Fame". Singles Top 100.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Irene Cara Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Irene Cara Chart History (Dance Club Songs)". Billboard.
- "Cash Box Top 100". Cash Box. September 13, 1980.
- "Pop Singles". Billboard ("Billboard Talent in Action: Year End Charts" supplement). December 20, 1980. p. TIA-10.
- "The Cash Box Year-End Charts: 1980". Cash Box. December 27, 1980.
- "Top Selling Singles of 1982". Recorded Music NZ.
- Rees, Dafydd; Lazell, Barry; Jones, Alan (1983). "The Top 100 UK Singles". Chart File Volume 2. London, England: Virgin Books. pp. 80–81. ISBN 0-907080-73-1.
- "Jaaroverzichten – Single 1983". Dutch Charts (Hung Medien).
- "Canadian single certifications – Irene Cara – Fame". Music Canada.
- "French single certifications – Irene Cara – Fame" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "British single certifications – Irene Cara – Fame". British Phonographic Industry.