The Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Light, on Lake Erie, located near the end of the west breakwater at the mouth of the Grand River was built in 1925, replacing the Grand River (Fairport Harbor) Light, which still stands and is now a marine museum.
|Location||Fairport Harbor, Ohio|
|Construction||Brick in Steel Frame|
|Height||42 feet (13 m)|
|Heritage||National Register of Historic Places listed place|
|Focal height||17 m (56 ft)|
|Range||13 nmi (24 km; 15 mi)|
|Characteristic||White Light - (3 seconds on, 3 seconds off)|
Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Light
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architectural style||Light station|
|MPS||Light Stations of Ohio MPS|
|NRHP reference No.||92000242|
|Added to NRHP||April 10, 1992|
The light is automated and closed to the public. However, it is possible to walk out along the breakwater to view the structure and grounds. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
In 2006, an effort began by a group of community activists to take ownership of the lighthouse with the goal of preserving the facility for future generations. The United States Coast Guard will continue to maintain the light and foghorn as a navigational aid.
In September 2009, the United States General Services Administration put the lighthouse up for public auction via an online auction. After two more auctions, a bidder secured the lighthouse in August 2011 for $71,010 and as of August 2012[update] is converting it into a summer residence.
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Ohio". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office. Archived from the original on 2017-05-01.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. November 2, 2013.
- Amateur Radio Light House Society, Fairport Harbor West Breakwater (Lake Erie) Light #ARLHS USA-280.
- Amateur Radio Lighthouse Society, World List of Lights (WLOL).
- Baker, Brandon C. (2006-04-29). "Group Aims to Save FH Structure". The News-Herald.
- Frischkorn, Jeffrey L. (2009-10-06). "Lighthouse Attracts 3 Bidders". The News-Herald. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- Frischkorn, Jeffrey L. (2011-08-06). "Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Lighthouse Sold to Next Highest Bidder". The News-Herald. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- Henry Hanks; Katie Hawkins-Gaar (2014-08-07). "Lighthouse facts: 10 things you may not know". CNN Travel. Retrieved 2019-02-04.
- Frischkorn, Jeffrey L. (2011-11-30). "Sheila Consaul Ready to Turn Fairport Lighthouse into a Summer Home". The News-Herald. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- Frischkorn, Jeffrey L. (2012-08-10). "Owner of Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Lighthouse Gets to Work Fixing Up Her New Summer Home". The News-Herald. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- Harrison, Timothy, The lights and Lost Lights of Fairport Harbor, (October, 2001) Lighthouse Digest.
- Oleszewski, Wes. Great Lakes Lighthouses, American and Canadian: A Comprehensive Directory/Guide to Great Lakes Lighthouses, (Gwinn, Michigan: Avery Color Studios, Inc., 1998) ISBN 0-932212-98-0.
- U.S. Coast Guard. Historically Famous Lighthouses (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1957).
- Wright, Larry and Wright, Patricia. Great Lakes Lighthouses Encyclopedia Hardback (Erin: Boston Mills Press, 2006) ISBN 1-55046-399-3
- Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Lighthouse (maintained by the current owner)
- Anderson, Kraig, Lighthouse Friends
- Lighthouse Depot
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of the United States: Ohio". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.