FIFA Player of the Century
FIFA Player of the Century was a one-off award created by FIFA to decide the greatest football player of the 20th century, announced at the annual FIFA World gala, held in Rome on 11 December 2000. Diego Maradona and Pele were joint winners of the award. Maradona won the award based on the Internet poll, while Pelé won the award based on votes from FIFA officials, journalists and coaches.
Since 1991, FIFA have had awards for FIFA World Player of the Year and they decided to bring in the new millennium by conducting a public vote to decide the FIFA Player of the Century. This was to be decided by votes on their official website, their official magazine and a grand jury. Maradona won the Internet-based poll by wide margins, garnering 53.6% of the votes against 18.53% for Pelé. Despite the fact that Eusébio, who played football professionally during Pelé's era, placed third in the poll, many observers complained that the Internet nature of the poll would have meant a skewed demographic of younger fans who would have seen Maradona play, but not Pelé. As a result, FIFA decided to add a second poll and appointed a "Football Family" committee composed of football journalists, officials and coaches, who voted Pelé the best player of the century with 72.75% of the vote, thus both were joint winners of the award.
FIFA internet voteEdit
The results of FIFA's internet Poll were as follows:
|6||Marco van Basten||Netherlands||1.57%|
|14||Alfredo Di Stéfano||Argentina||0.68%|
|19||Lev Yashin||Soviet Union||0.36%|
|20||George Best||Northern Ireland||0.32%|
FIFA Magazine and Grand Jury voteEdit
This part of the award was decided by the FIFA Magazine readers vote and the FIFA Grand Jury.
|2||Alfredo Di Stéfano||Argentina||9.75%|
|George Best||Northern Ireland||2.0%|
FIFA Centennial AwardEdit
FIFA Centennial Player and Football Personality.
|4||Alfredo Di Stéfano||Argentina||1215|
- "Three candidates for FIFA World Player Award: Figo, Rivaldo and Zidane". FIFA.com. FIFA. 7 December 2000. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- Pele, Maradona split player of 20th century award. CBC News. Retrieved 13 March 2013
- FIFA Player of the Century. touri.com
- "Maradona's genius cannot eclipse Brazilian master". telegraph.co.uk. The Daily Telegraph. 12 December 2000. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- "Pele, Maradona each win FIFA century awards after feud". CNN.
- "FIFA Player of the Century" (PDF). touri.com. Retrieved 30 November 2010.
- "Celebrations mark the opening of FIFA Centennial Congress in Paris, FIFA’s birthplace". FIFA.com. Retrieved 9 April 2013
- "World - Player of the Century". RSSSF.com. Retrieved 9 April 2013