|Founded||London (1856 )|
|Founder||George Henry Hinds|
|England and Wales|
Number of employees
The chain is an independent retailer which was founded in 1856 by George Henry Hinds, although his father Joseph was also a clockmaker in Stamford, Lincolnshire and his great uncle was also a Stamford clockmaker in the early years of the 1800s.
Shortly after the First World War, brothers Frank and William divided the business in two. William Hinds diversified into theatres and also into films as he was one of the two founders of Hammer Film Productions. Frank continued with the jewellery business and eventually, in 1990, F. Hinds took over the one remaining shop owned by the other half of the family in Worthing, Sussex.
Opening of online store (1997-2005)Edit
RJC Certification (2008-2018)Edit
In 2008, F Hinds joined the Responsible Jewellery Council, the international not-for-profit organisation established to reinforce consumer confidence in the jewellery industry by advancing responsible business practices throughout the supply chain, and in August 2011 they were one of the first members to become fully accredited following an independent audit.
In 2014 Andrew Hinds was elected Chairman of the UK jewellery trade body the National Association of Goldsmiths. It later merged with the British Jewellers' Association and became the National Association of Jewellers. Hinds remained on the National Committee of the National Association of Jewellers until the end of his term in June 2020.
Acquisition of Chapelle Jewellery (2019-present)Edit
In 2019, Hinds Ltd purchased the UK's leading outlet centre specialist, Chapelle. Chapelle had traded successfully for several decades but had struggled under Hilco which lead to its eventual administration; however, Hinds saved 12 of the stores. The outlet centre stores and website www.chapelle.co.uk continue to operate under the Chapelle brand name. In March 2022, the first new Chapelle store under F Hinds' ownership opened in the Designer Outlet West Midlands, Cannock.
- "Our History on F. Hinds website". 8 October 2010. Retrieved 8 October 2010.
- "Our History on F. Hinds website". 24 June 2020. Retrieved 24 June 2020.
- "My Diamonds Brand Page". 2 January 2017. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "Trafford Centre Retailer Information". 21 September 2010. Retrieved 8 October 2010.
- "RJC Certification Information – F.Hinds Limited on RJC website" (PDF). 29 July 2011. Retrieved 11 August 2011.
- "Director of Bracknell jewellers made part of National Association of Goldsmiths". 6 August 2014. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- "New Chair welcomed at NAJ's 2020 AGM who publishes 'Essential Strategy' and calls for togetherness". www.NAJ.co.uk. The National Association of Jewellers. 18 June 2020. Retrieved 12 September 2022.
- "Major new shop opens at McArthurGlen Designer Outlet West Midlands". 8 March 2022.