Félix Dujardin, painting by his daughter, 1847
|Born||5 April 1801|
|Died||8 April 1860 (aged 59)|
|Known for||protozoans helminths|
|Institutions||University of Rennes, France|
|Author abbrev. (botany)||Dujard.|
In 1840 he was appointed professor of geology and mineralogy at the University of Toulouse, and during the following year was a professor of zoology and botany at Rennes. In regard to his educational background, Dujardin was largely self-taught.
Dujardin worked with microscopic animal life, and in 1834 proposed that a new group of one-celled organisms be called Rhizopoda. The name was later changed to Protozoa. He denied naturalist Christian Gottfried Ehrenberg's theory that microscopic organisms were "complete organisms" similar to higher animals. In addition to his studies of microscopic life, he did extensive research on invertebrate groups that included echinoderms, helminths and cnidarians.
In the Foraminifera, he noticed an apparently formless life substance that he named "sarcode", later renamed protoplasm by Hugo von Mohl (1805–1872). In 1850 he was the first to describe the mushroom bodies, key structures in the insects' nervous system.
- Dujardin F. 1837. Mémoire sur les couches du sol en Touraine et descriptions des coquilles de la craie des faluns.
- Dujardin F. 1841. Histoire naturelle des zoophytes. Infusoires, comprenant la physiologie et la classification de ces animaux, et la manière de les étudier à l'aide du microscope.
- Dujardin F. 1842. Nouveau manuel de l'observateur au microscope.
- Dujardin F. 1845. Histoire naturelle des helminthes ou vers intestinaux. xvi, 654+15 pp. + Plates.
The standard author abbreviation Dujard is applied to species he described.
- Louis Joubin, 1901, Félix Dujardin, 1801-1860. Archives de Parasitologie, Volume 4, 5-60. PDF
- Huard, P; Theodorides, J (1959). "[5 Unrecognized parasitologists.]". Biologie médicale (published Apr 1959). 48 (Special No): i–xci. PMID 13651265.
- Strausfeld NJ, Hansen L, Li Y, Gomez RS, Ito K (1998). "Evolution, Discovery, and Interpretations of Arthropod Mushroom Bodies". Learn. Mem. 5 (1–2): 11–37. doi:10.1101/lm.5.1.11. PMC 311242. PMID 10454370.
- Dujardin, F. 1850. Mémoire sur le système nerveux des insectes. Ann. Sci. Nat. Zool. 14: 195-206.