Expo 2027, the working title for a BIE recognised world's fair planned for 2027 or 2028, will be a specialised exposition. As such it must be at most three months in length and illustrate a specific theme. It could be held in 2027 or 2028.
|Category||International Recognized Exhibition|
|Visitors||13.3 million (Minnesota estimate)|
|Country||To be determined|
|Previous||Expo 2017 in Astana|
|Previous||Expo 2025 in Osaka|
|Previous||International Horticultural Expo 2023 Doha Qatar in Doha|
Five countries have submitted competing candidatures to organise a Specialised Expo in either 2027 or 2028: the United States of America (in Minnesota), Thailand (in Phuket), Serbia (in Belgrade), Spain (in Malaga,), and Argentina (in San Carlos de Bariloche).
The candidature list closed on 28 January 2022. Each candidate submitted a detailed candidature dossier by 7 June 2022, and the BIE will then organise Enquiry Missions, assessing the feasibility and viability of each candidature project. The host country of Specialised Expo 2027/28 will then be elected by BIE Member States, gathered in a General Assembly set to take place in June 2023.
The theme for this bid for 2027 is Healthy People, Healthy Planet and would be held in Bloomington, Minnesota adjacent to the Mall of America and the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge, and close to Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. The expected number of visitors is 13.3 million.
Minnesota was the first to formally submit their bid on 29 July 2021. A group of BIE officials visited the site in October 2022 to hear presentations that included renderings of proposed structures for the expo.
The theme for this bid for 2028 is Future of Life: Living in Harmony, Sharing Prosperity.
The theme for this bid for 2027 is Play for Humanity – Sport and Music for All.
The theme for this bid for 2027 which would be called The Urban Era: towards the sustainable city intends to focus on the UN's sustainability goals. If chosen it would be celebrated between the 5th of June and the 5th of September 2027.
It would take place in the Buenavista area within the Campanillas district very near the University of Malaga and the Malaga International Airport that has a capacity for 35 million passengers every year. It was the first city to be officially interested in hosting this expo and also the only city that was officially visited by the BIE to examine the proposed terrane and learn more about the project before closing the candidatures.
Expo2027 Malaga has the support of a large part of institutions, entities, associations, federations and companies of the city.
San Carlos de BarilocheEdit
The theme for this bid for 2027 is Nature + Technology = sustainable energy. A viable future for humanity.
- "About". Retrieved 28 July 2021.
- "168th General Assembly of the BIE". Retrieved 26 July 2021.
- "Thailand applies to organise Specialised Expo 2028 in Phuket". 11 January 2022. Retrieved 2 February 2022.
- "Spain applies to organise Specialised Expo 2027 in Malaga". Retrieved 2 February 2022.
- "Five countries submit candidature dossiers to organise Specialised Expo 2027/28".
- "List of candidates for Specialised Expo 2027/28". Retrieved 2 February 2022.
- "Argentina elected host country of Specialised Expo 2023". Retrieved 26 July 2021.
- "Minnesota is going for the World's Fair again, after nearly landing it for 2023 – Twin Cities". 20 November 2018. Retrieved 27 July 2021.
- "Is the World's Fair Coming to Minnesota? - Starting Up North". Retrieved 27 July 2021.
- Tribune, Jessie Van Berkel Star. "Minnesota makes pitch for World's Fair estimated to generate roughly $2.5B". Star Tribune. Retrieved 2022-10-13.
- Schuster, Christine. "Renderings unveiled for potential World's Fair in Bloomington". Bring Me The News. Retrieved 2022-10-13.
- "Serbia applies to organise Specialised Expo 2027 in Belgrade". 25 January 2022. Retrieved 2 February 2022.
- "The Expo". Retrieved 27 July 2021.
- "site". Retrieved 27 July 2021.
- "BIE visits Malaga as city considers bid for Specialised Expo 2027". Retrieved March 9, 2020.
- "Support to the Expo2027 Málaga Project". Retrieved 2 February 2022.
- "Argentina applies to organise Specialised Expo 2027 in San Carlos de Bariloche". 27 January 2022. Retrieved 2 February 2022.